Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artanis Auir (Kerap)- Private Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:22 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I've done that before too. Maybe the post got redirected in cyberspace and is now on the Island of Misfit Posts. :D

Artanis Auir

Initiative: [1d10] = 9

Artanis continues to press the issue with this creature all while encouraging Erodth as well. "Keep at it, guys. We'll rid the woods of THIS FOUL creature!"

Artanis swings with his longsword but the creature is able to see and dodge the blow. He tries to get his shortsword back in his hand rather than leave it dangling from his wrist.

The Fall: Bruno Dodd, The Iron Sheik, Denise Dodd, Ald, Dannii Dodd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:44 am 
Emperor
Emperor

OOC: lol, where awesome posts get lost forever… Have you been watching the Claymation Rudolph movie lately? ;) ]

Shouting words of encouragement, Artanis prepares to attack the creature but Erodh’s smaller blade is faster than either the canines or Artanis. He lunges forward, slashing a wide gash across the thing’s face. The mark barely misses an eye, and does not heal up as wounds from the mundane weapons have. A furious snarl escapes the bloodied beast as it latches onto its assailant with shining red teeth, bearing him to the ground. That same instant Winnix attacks, but the larger dog’s movement prevents him from making contact.

The wolf crushes Erodh’s shoulder and chest in his grip, and the sickening pop of ribs can be heard over the savage growls and half-elf’s cries of pain. Seeking to free his companion, Artanis slashes hard with his longsword. The grey animal is forced to release his prey to avoid being hit. It looks much the worse for wear, as does Erodh who hardly manages to regain his feet. Slowly the predator begins to back away, it’s snout wrinkling up in a fierce warning growl that bares its crimson-coated fangs. Artanis finally has a chance to recover his short sword from the strap where it dangles.

[A&I R5?]
==========
Round 4:
Initiative:
Erodh: (4+2): 6
Winnix: 10
Wolf: 10
Artanis: (9+4): 12

Erodh attacks the Wolf with his dagger +1: 18 + 1: 19, Hit! for [1d4+1] = 4 damage! The Wolf is Hurt Badly

The Wolf attacks Erodh: 20! Confirmation roll = 3. Crit confirmed! Hit for 4d4 = 9 dmg! Erodh is hurt badly
Simultaneously Winnix attacks the Wolf: [1d20] = 6: miss!

Artanis attacks the wolf with his Longsword +1: [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11: Miss
Artanis recovers his grip on his Short Sword.

The wolf begins to withdraw, and moves 5 feet away from the party.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:54 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I have not watched it for several years now, but The Island of Misfit Toys will always be a nice memory. :D Charlie in a box.

Artanis Auir

Initiative Roll: [1d10] = 5

Artanis is going to continue the assault as he feels this creature is an abomination to the forest and must be eliminated. "I'm going to take another swipe at it, then cast an Entangle spell if it tries to run. So hang back. Once entangled, I'll heal you, Erodth."

He takes a swipe at the creature with his longsword, but once again misjudges the distance and only succeeds it trimming some of the underbrush surrounding the wolf. (OCC: I think he bought a cursed weapon! :lol: ) [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8

He takes a swing with his shortsword that is now back in his hand, and succeeds in trimming the underbrush he missed with the longsword. [1d20] = 2 (OCC: At least he didn't drop it)

OOC: Last night on Unseen Servant, I had to roll an Intelligence check and a Wisdom check for another character. So I needed low numbers. I rolled two 20's back to back. Time to go up into the attic and retrieve my bag of dice I've had since 1982. But come to think of it, those dice stunk too. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:51 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: lol. Yeah, sometimes it seems like the dice (real or virtual) are plotting against you ;) ]

Artanis presses the attack, but the wolf is just too agile for him to land a blow, and he nearly drops his short sword in the process! The animal, badly wounded, turns and disappears silently into the thickening mists. Winnix bolts after to harry the beast, but a sharp command from Erodh pulls him up short. Instead of following, the wolfhound growls and crouches to pounce facing the direction of it's escape. Once the dog has stopped, Erodh begins to pray quietly until a shimmering green glow settles upon him. Artanis recognizes the spell as something to hide him from the creature's sight. We have to find that thing... and stop it... he says, breathing heavily.

==========
Round 5:
Initiative:
Artanis: (5+4): 9
Wolf: 10
Winnix: 10
Erodh: (7+ 4): 11

Artanis attacks the wolf with his Longsword +1: [1d20+1] = 7+1 = 8: Miss
Artanis attacks the wolf with his Short sword: [1d20] = 2: Miss

The wolf turns and flees into the mists.

Simultaneously Winnix moves to attack, but Erodh calls him back and he waits!

Erodh casts 'Invisibility to Animals' on himself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:34 am 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

OOC: Good think Artanis isn't in the Tomb of Horrors. He wouldn't even survive the trip to the Tomb!

Artanis walks over to Erodth and calmly says: "First things first. Let's take a look at your wounds. Yes, rather nasty, so let me call upon the blessing of our Lady of the Forest for her blessing of healing upon you."

Casting Cure Light Wounds (If you want me to roll for the hit points restored, here it is.) [1d8] = 4

"Now, if you're up to it, let's see if we can pick up the trail, find that creature, and put it down."

This encounter has left Artanis with more questions than answers. His own swordsmanship seems inept and Erodth hardly seems prepared to be "proactive" and "stopping them beforehand". Seems like there are always more questions than answers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:14 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

OOC: well, yeah at lvl 3 (or 2/2) nobody would ;) Good thing it starts around lvl 14, lol… bet you wouldn’t have minded being lvl 14 in that last encounter :D Erodh took quite a beating there… he lost more hps overall than he has in total… and almost all of that was in only 2 hits! Good thing he healed (at your suggestion) after that first bad wound…]

Doubts and new questions threaten to invade Artanis’ thoughts, but he pushes them aside to see to the needs of the moment. Speaking a quiet prayer to Mielikki, she bestows her favor upon his actions and a pale green glow envelops Erodh’s body. It is difficult to see through the armor, but he nods his thanks and seems to move much easier now. Thanks, Art… That thing has to be why we’re out here… it’s probably responsible for all of the animal attacks lately… I wasn’t expecting something so fierce or else I’d have prepared my prayers better…

His companion’s words bring his mind back to his own reason for being here, but he presses on. I’m ready, thanks. Erodh says. I’ll take point while my animal invisibility lasts, Winnix can watch our backs… lets both try to track it to better our chances… At his own words, Erodh moves in the direction the beast fled, keeping his gaze mostly ahead but glancing down for prints.

[Artanis casts Cure Light Wounds on Erodh. Erodh is healed for 4 hps. Erodh’s condition improves to Hurt.]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:16 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

Artanis falls in line behind Erodth - also keeping an eye out for tracks. But he will mostly be watching forward and the flanks to make sure there are no surprise flank attacks. He pushes out any other thoughts and remains focused on the task ahead.

OOC: I saw he was badly hurt, so it was time to jog his memory regarding healing himself.
I'm enjoying this little quest and getting a feel for the character. So thank you for inviting me and for your time and efforts. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:50 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[Ooc: Happy to have you! That's one reason I like to do a little solo-stuff with players before the party assembles. It takes time to get to know your own characters, which is helpful before you get thrown in with a bunch of others :D ]

The tracks of the large beast are easy to follow, and the trail of blood makes it doubly so. A clammy chill settles upon them as they make their way through the mist. A few minutes into their renewed hunt Erosh stumbles over a low root. Gathering himself up he plays it off by inspecting the tracks nearby, but the error was obvious. Looks like he's slowing down... we should be able to catch up to him... maybe unnoticed if there's no wind... His voice is steady, but Artanis can see droplets glistening on his forehead. A shiver from the damp runs through him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 am 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

Artanis gives Erodth a much needed, teammate style, pat on the back - for confidence. "The sooner we catch and dispose of it, the sooner we can get out of this mist and back to a nice campfire."

Artanis' words were a facade - he did not feel that confident, and was very concerned for Erodth who seems off today - perhaps he is getting ill. Artanis kept his eyes peeled on the flanks and ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:48 am 
Emperor
Emperor

As he pats his one-time leader on the back, Artanis feels heat coming from the man’s collar. The droplets are not moisture from the damp air, but sweat! Despite the warmth rolling off of him, Erodh shivers as though he were freezing. His eyes cast about on the ground for tracks, but they have an almost glazed, sluggish appearance to them. Winnix, bringing up the rear, moves to his master and sniffs him over. Whimpering, the dog looks to Artanis before nudging Erodh concernedly. Around them, the fog is beginning to deepen and visibility is limited to only a couple of yards…

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:39 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: Things I know (suspect) that Artanis doesn't know/suspect. I suspect he's turning into a werewolf or some other lycanthrope. And I can't do anything to help him.

Artanis Auir

"You best sit down for a moment, Erodth. I think you're hurt more than you realize. Do you have any potions?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:48 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: Well he definitely seems to have some kind of infection...]

We gotta... gotta get that thing... his voice is thick with effort, but he presses on into the dim mist. Winnix whines a bit, looking first to Artanis, but then moves to follow his master. Come on, Art... we have to find it before it hurts someone else... I'll be fine I'm just winded from the fight... Erodh's movements are a little better now, though Artanis can tell it is not without effort.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:12 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

Artanis shrugs at Winnix as if to say to the pooch, I have no idea what is bothering him. He falls in behind Erodth saying, "Sure thing, mate. If you're up for it, let's press on."

Artanis keeps his vigilant watch on the flanks and ahead, while pressing any of the thoughts swirling around in his head, out of focus.

Last edited by kerap on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

It's our duty... he says, as they move on.

Artanis tries to push the thoughts away but they creep in little-by-little, like droplets of ink staining pure water... Again the memory of that first mission closes in... the girl... her brother... Hastily he shoves them away, deep, deep down. Danger lurked around them and he was daydreaming! No, she was dead and it was over... He heard no sound in the fog save Erodh's heavy breath. The man was walking stealthily, but his chest was heaving with effort... he might have a wound in his lung... that could account for the heavy breathing and sweats... the bites had been in the right place for it...

The mist, once insidious in its approach, made a wall in front of them... it was almost solid, like a line cut by a sword in heavily caked earth... It rose before him and endlessly to either side. Erodh stopped, dumbfounded, but there was no doubt the tracks led into it... He glanced back at Artanis once, then at winnix, then plunged into the wall of fog before him, slipping silently into its reaches like a turtle into the calm surface of a pond... without a single ripple...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:11 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

OOC: Everyone seated in the audience is yelling at Artanis, "Don't go in there!"

Artanis pauses for a moment to catch his breath and consider what is going on. This is no ordinary fog that he's ever seen in these woods before. I've been haunted by that girl's death face for years because of Erodth. We didn't need to KILL those people - just stop them. And now he apparently wants to kill more innocent people! Perhaps this is Mielikki's punishment to Erodth for being filled with blood lust? Even though I am growing to disdain him, I cannot abandon him in these woods. No one will call me a coward.

Artanis enters the fog wall.

OOC: The people seated in the audience scream!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Advanced search