Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 am

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Act 2 Scene 2: “In Search of The Crown” (Game Thread)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 pm 
Freeman
Freeman

Adran responds It's a pleasure Rautant, my friend here was telling me about a journal that you have, the Tannis journal. May spend some time pouring over it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:50 am 
Duke
Duke

Jerry smiles a greeting to Rautant.
At the mention of the journal she gives Merrick a meaningful look and an unseen nudge.

At a appropriate point the priestess spends some time talking with the proprietor about business, his well being and so forth and that the papermaking training went well. (If he picks up on the later topic she expands on whether he's like any paper made any time soon and if so whether he already has appropriate facilities. She reiterates her desire o also acquire bookbinding skills at some point in the future.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 am 
King
King

[I failed to mention last time. The Toad’s Toe has an entry in the Party Knowledge thread; though it is rather a basic description.]

Harmonia, The Toad’s Toe: Adran, Cross, Jerry, Merrick
Fenrir? Rautant says, bemused. Quite an interesting name you’ve chosen for him… Yes… he seems to be a fine specimen. I’m sure since you’ve sought out a familiar for so long I’ve no need to warn you or your companions of the… particular hazards? He says, half questioningly.

The Tannis journal, eh? Hmm… you’ve some interest in the theory of planar travel then? You’ve not the look of Sithicus about you, and elves are so rare here otherwise… are you perhaps from ‘elsewhere’ as well? He asks curiously as he fumbles around behind the counter before producing a leather-wrapped travel-journal.

This, he lays the worn journal on the counter, leaving his hand atop it. belonged to a man I met a long time ago... he was not from this land or anywhere nearby... much like your friends here. he slowly removes his hand. You may read it here, but I will not lend it out.

I have been thinking about that… Merrick says, regarding the journal. I know it is important to you and you’d never think of parting with it, but… he hesitates. Would you allow it to be copied? Merrick turns to Adran, A spell-produced duplicate would be quite exact, aside from any enchantments on the document… if we had a blank journal…

Rautant seems reluctant regarding the copy, but doesn’t dismiss the idea outright. [likely would need more convincing if others think a copy is a favorable idea]

Rautant turns his attention to Jerry as she approaches, maintaining the pleasantries with her as she begins. Ah, I’m glad your study went well. Yes Imer is a reliable fellow; very consistent workmanship. Oh no, I don’t have near the space, equipment nor desire to make my own paper. Imer fills my supply quite easily. He and I have an agreement. When she mentions book-binding he nods, Yes, there are a few. I believe the Meistersinger has his own, of course, as does the Meistersinger of skald… then there is the fellow set up near Imer’s shop. They are some relation or other I think. Often I go through him if I’m having something bound, for simplicity sake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 am 
Merchant
Merchant

Pytor brow furrows as he listens to his newly found sister's words. Silence follows while he wrestles with a decision he does not want to make. Sighing he finally replies. "Forgive my outburst Adrastia. It was not you making light of my experience that caused my words. After finding Barsali dead with his blood on my hands, I fled until coming to the nearest city. Once there I drowned myself with the cheapest rotgut the local tavern served and have done so every night and day since... My last drink was two nights ago. It gnaws at my stomach and stokes my temper now... That was the true reason, I wished to leave the inn. I could not sit there while the drinks were being served... " Pytor slows his pace while taking note of the local's reactions. "Yes Marta did mention that our mother was Vistani and we were half of the blood... At the time, I still thought she might be mad and didn't pay too much attention. She also mentioned mother being a seer and leader of our tribe. But what was she like? What do you remember most about our mother?"

"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:58 am 
King
King

Harmonia, The Loop: Adrastia, Pytor
Adrastia nods solemnly at the news, I see… I do not know of many other Giomorgo, but I imagine such afflictions are not… uncommon… I too have innocent blood on my hands. the last she says at barely a whisper. Her face hardens again. There are ways to avoid the moon. I will teach you the tea Marta taught me. It is not preferable sometimes, but it can make you sleep through the madness for a time. The problem is finding those you trust to watch over your slumber. she frowns. As to the other… our journey into the wild will be of some aid to you. There will be nothing in reach for days. I will watch over you while the poison leaves your system.

The dusky hued fighter’s face softens at the mention of their mother. Taking a slow breath she smiles. She was strong. She was a proud woman with a powerful will, and she led our people with wisdom beyond her years. She was a striking beauty with angular features, jet black hair and eyes of green fire that could cut through an oak when she was taking charge. A fonder light shone in Adrastia’s eyes. I think she must have grown up thinking she had something to prove, and always showed a strong side to our tribe… but… When we were alone with her she had so much love and pride in her eyes for us… she used to sing us to sleep with an old gypsy song…

Looking back to her brother, the warrior grins ruefully. Though you are here beside me, I still can hardy believe that you are back. She claps a hand on his shoulder and squeezes. I used to have to watch you when you were still toddling about. I was but a child myself still, no more than ten, but that is the way of our people. she grins wide. I remember one day you found a snake near the camp and were trying to catch it by the tail. she laughs aloud, shaking his shoulder slightly. I had no idea what it was but you caught it and it turned to bite. I grabbed a stick and gave it a few good whacks to the head. We got in so much trouble for that…though it was only a ratsnake. The strong fighter hugs her brother about the shoulders briefly before releasing him. I don’t know how we managed not to be bitten, but you caught that damn snake by the tail and you couldn’t have been more than three years old…

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:05 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

((Sorry for the rushed post, but I was afraid that it might be Monday before I get another chance.))

"Hmmn... So you must sleep through the nights of the moon as well. I had fashioned chains to bind myself. But they were lost when Barsali chased me to this realm. The tea seems more practical, even if I don't know yet who to entrust myself to." Pytor frowns.

"I wish that I could remember her... and our time together. But it is lost to me"

"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 pm 
Freeman
Freeman

Avoiding the first question about where he comes from, Adran asks Rautant Before I decide to copy anything from the journal, do you have a quiet place - other than here - where I might study its contents? You know, to see if it will be useful to me.

Last edited by thawizkid on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:32 am 
Count
Count

"A magical copy! That sounds like it would be very interesting to take part in. I would love to have the chance to perform or observe that!"

"If you see a little Toad in this cage, please do not eat it. It has a special bond to this man, like we have."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 pm 
King
King

Perhaps some will return in time, or perhaps not. Either way, we will make new memories. And i will tell you stories of our childhood sometimes if you wish to hear.

Unfortunately, this is the only area i have for study. Of course i rarely get so many customers at a time, so it normally isn't an issue. he chuckles. Lifting a section of the countertop like a lid causes an illusion to be interrupted, revealing an opening where there was not one before. Rautant slides a stool through to the side Adran and the others are in, closing the hinged countertop section back into place and restoring rhe illusion.

Yes, Merrick says to Cross, it's quite a handy spell when copying large texts and the like.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:51 pm 
Freeman
Freeman

Adran says thank you. He then intently reads the journal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:02 am 
Freeman
Freeman

OOC - what does he learn?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:11 pm 
King
King

[sorry for delays, have been working nights lately and my days are full]

The pair continue to follow the loop through town, curving back Eastward they pass an open area off the road surrounded small buildings. against the cliffside is a wide platform connected by chains, designed for carrying supplies to the top of the cliff; currently under the watch of several guards [Harmonia Area 10]. Continuing on they come to a stately mansion with spires mimicking a small castle standing proudly here just off of the Loop. Before it to the East is a grassy park area spread, where they can see musicians at practice and locals taking their ease. Beyond is visible the edge of what looks to be a massive Ampthitheater built into the side of the cliff-face.

A large fountain stands between the hall and the Amphitheater depicting a bearded man playing a lute and singing. He sits along a bench and two huge, apparently napping, dogs lie at his feet. The figure is most handsome, yet the sculptor carved him in such a manner as to convey a sense of power and mystery.

Adran settles in to study the journal. It seems to have been kept as a travel-journal by a man named Tannis Feywald, as Rautant claimed. The script is in a flowing hand but obviously scribed with a simple tool, likely a bamboo or cane-style pen of some kind. The subject matter uses many abbreviations which it doesn't take too long to catch the gist of, dates, times, days etcetra all corresponding to the Harptos calendar used all across Faerun. A particular entry penned some 50 years ago catches Adran's eye, as Tannis describes having awoken in a different place than he went to sleep; simply as if the world around him had changed in the cold and foggy night.

A couple of entries farther along detail his coming to Harmonia and meeting a curious man named Rautaunt who "steadfastly did not believe in the existence of the planes!" Later entries detail his search for any place familiar, or a great library (he notes a one Doctor Dominiani in Gundarak may have such if he can be prevailed upon to allow access to it). Tannis seems to steadfastly believe he has crossed inadvertently into some other plane. Farther along in the volume he postulates that access to this particular "plane, or sub-plane of some sort" seems tightly restricted; but theorizes there must be small, more stable access points somewhere. He sets out with this in mind.

The entries become strange and cryptic after this, almost as if the author is concerned with writing his thoughts out straightforwardly lest something uncover his journal. Strange sigils begin to appear in the entries, interrupting words, phrases or simply clinging to the borders of a page. The sigils stand in plain black ink, appearing to have no magical nature to them; only confusing symbols. As he reads, Adran recalls seeing similar marks in the book he recovered from Aglos not so long ago. It seems clear that the corresponding sigils hint at some sort of cypher or code between the two documents, but it will likely take hours to decode...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:07 am 
King
King

Adrastia and Pyror continue past a hill leading up to the more affluent section of town. Pytor can see that The Loop continues back towards their inn, the Wayfarer.

As Adran finishes, Merrick looks over the volume as he can. These look like clues to some cypher in common with the other book... but... it seems incomplete... perhaps there are still more volumes...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:35 pm 
Count
Count

Can Cross add anything to tge discussion?

A knowledge roll?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 pm 
Freeman
Freeman

TristenC wrote:
Adrastia and Pyror continue past a hill leading up to the more affluent section of town. Pytor can see that The Loop continues back towards their inn, the Wayfarer.

As Adran finishes, Merrick looks over the volume as he can. These look like clues to some cypher in common with the other book... but... it seems incomplete... perhaps there are still more volumes...

Adran responds I believe you're correct, there must be other volumes. He turns to Rautant and asks if there are other journals and who might have them (possibly Doctor Dominiani in Gundarak). Adran will also want to compare this journal to the book he got from Aglos.

OOC - Sorry for the delay, in the middle of move.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next

Advanced search