Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Advanced search

Post subject: Re: Pytor Fulcher (Mltillis)- Private Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Steam rises from the pile of sick in the cold air, and he shivers as the loss of even that warmth adds its toll to the impressive debt his body has accumulated from him tonight. Shakily he leads the horse… he didn’t even know her name… towards the warm light.

He hears the crackling fire and the babble of a stream before the layout of the camp itself resolves to his vision. At first he sees only the fire, glowing bright and warm and inviting in the wretched night, then the dark but swift stream beyond. A wall of some sort becomes visible beyond the fire… no… a wagon! A gypsy wagon! The paint is in very worn condition and it is in need of some obvious repair, but there it stands, nevertheless! A single horse, a roan gelding with a deep chest strong forelock, dozes standing against the side.

An old woman’s voice, reedy with age and wear speaks quietly as he approaches; leading his eye to a shape near the fire that he somehow had mistaken for some kind of shrub. No, no. Don’t worry, my dear; I will tell him… yes, that too… no, no, all will be well my sweet one, I will make sure he under... Abruptly she stops, catching sound of the horse he leads. You must go, he comes now. Go, we will speak later…

Turning slightly, though not enough for him to see her face yet, she speaks in his direction. Come closer, boy. Come, warm your cold bones by the fire. This is no night to be out alone. You can keep an old woman company and I will keep you company, and the danger of alone will pass for the both of us… come. Sit and let me have a look at you…

The figure is hunched and dressed in a heavy woolen shawl, colored like those of his people and dangling with bits and trinkets much like old Zanda was wont to wear. A withered hand, wrapped with skin like parchment and clattering with bracelets and rings of ivory and wooden and metal, beckons him forward. The closer he comes the more striking the resemblance grows, the old woman so much like the matriarch of his tribe; though her facial features did not match exact. There’s drink, there… she gestures to a clay jug on the opposite side of the fire from her by a sitting log. And the water from the creek is fresh, though I’ve no need to tell you. You’ve eyes enough for that. she chuckles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

"Many thanks, Doyene." Pytor replies as he tethers the mare within reach of the brook. Stepping downstream he takes a moment to wash the sweat and spew from his face and shirt before lowering his mouth to drink deeply. The cold water churns his empty stomach leaving him queasy as he unsteadily returns to the weathered crone. Warily he glances about for a sign of the person to whom she spoke while he was approaching... "Were you not just speaking with another as I approached grandmother? Tis not a safe night for someone of your years to be unaccompanied in these woods."

"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Doyene drinks before turning her broadside to the fire to warm, the wagon sheltering her from the other side. After cleaning up he takes look around the camp, but finds no sign whatsoever of anyone else having been there. The night itself has gone from warm to quite cold. He spots a thick woolen blanket folded on the sitting log by the fire.

The weathered face smiles broadly as he addresses her as 'grandmother'. Ah, but I am not unaccompanied, for you are here. she smiles. But this place is safe for now... and yes, I was speaking with another... oh you won't find her, she is far gone... far, far gone. the old woman says sadly. There is tea in the jug there, warmed by the fire. It will help take the chill off... such a long, long road to come here...

She watches him silently for a time, taking in his features. So much like her... especially the eyes... She murmurs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:02 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Pytor fetches the blanket and carefully drapes it over her shoulders... Pytor assumes the old women had been talking to herself, perhaps to the memory of some long-dead loved one. "Where is here, Doyene?" After retrieving the tea he sits near her. "Was she special to you?"

"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

[sorry, I didn’t realize you were using Doyene as an honorific for the gypsy, I thought you were naming the horse! Lol. I’m on the same page now. The blanket was for him to use, but that’s ok.]

Here? Oh here is nowhere of importance, aside from a place of safety… of course you mean this land though… this is the land of the wandering dead… this is the land of… No… no, not time for that yet… This is a place… far from your home… much farther than one could cross in the night unaided… and the way back is closed… for now… She sips her tea, gesturing for him to have some from the jug as well.

She? Oh, yes… I suppose you must have heard… pay it no mind for now. The prattling of an old woman… yes… Mad Marta, some call me, but only because they do not see as I see… to those who do not understand, all the seeming may seem as if in a dream, and The Sight is not a common thing… she chuckles

Looking him over again she smiles, Polite young man… and you look fit as well, young Pytor. Yes… bright cunning eyes like your mother too… it seems Zanda has taken good care of you, lo these many years… Tell me… has the silver lady taxed you heavily? Always such a hard thing… such a pity…

[He can probably tell by inference that Silver lady refers to the moon]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:05 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

"The land of the wandering dead?" Pytor thinks back to his earlier encounter with the illusion of Barsali's corpse. "What is the name that the people who live in this region give the land?" He had spent enough time traveling the outskirts of the Sun Kingdom. Pytor was confident that he could get his bearings once a proper name was revealed.

Taking a long refreshing swig from the jug, Pytor pauses... "You have the sight, Doyenne?" Stories abounded in the gypsy villages of those who supposedly had the sight. Almost always one since past beyond the realm of the living. Few were those alive to make such a claim, fewer still were those that any besides the children believed.

"How do you know my name, grandmother? You know Zanda as well? Is the caravan nearby?" Pytor though reluctant to see his former band knows the aged woman needs the safety of the caravan to survive in the wilds... At her question of the moon, he finally gives true pause and considers that perhaps she may not be as she appears... "Why do ask about the moon. Only Barsali knew of that and he can no longer tell..."

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:52 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Marta chuckles, This land… this country I suppose you’d call it, is named Kartakass… but that is of no import, really. But this place… place can be more than a small space and much larger than the world… how best to say, how best… She muses, but waves it away, Another time for place… another time… she mutters, waving that portion of the discussion away. Kartakass lies between the Blutespur to the East and Sithicus to the west, and a great nothingness not so far to the south. But travel here is always subject to the mists… Much easier to travel the mist than travel the road. she babbles on.

She fairly cackles at the next question, Oh, I have The Sight… just as my daughter had it... Just as my sister has it… it is uncommon among our people, but not rare, and it seems to follow the blood of a family. she grins, aged teeth and wrinkled features quite satisfied as he takes a drink. But the sight I referred to was a different sight… a sight beyond the veil of life, not beyond the veil of futures as you mean… I was speaking with someone… someone who had passed beyond the veil… She waves that thread away as well, Too soon, much too soon. But as to the other..

She touches his face with a motherly gesture, checking his cheekbones and jaw (if he allows) and slapping his shoulders as if testing them Grown to a fine young man you have… The grin widens as he calls her ‘grandmother’ yet again. Yes I know your name, my boy… I know it because I was there when it was given to you! I know it because I knew your mother, and I Know Zanda like no other in this world… My sister has cared well for you these many years, it would seem… pity I have not seen her since the day I handed you toddling over to her… but what must be must be…

A strange weariness settles over Pytor, the warmth of the fire seeping into his bones and the hot tea soothing his aches and strains. He speaks again, about the moon, but the words are slurred and his voice thick. She looks at him sadly, It really is a pity… all not of the ‘pure blood’ must endure… his vision hazes slightly as he sways sitting, before losing his balance; having to lean against her to stay even remotely upright.

There, there… she says, patting his face gently as it lolls on her shoulder. Sleep boy… answers will come… Her ancient voice begins to sing a strange lullaby… the words so foreign to him, but so familiar… maybe something Zanda… had sung… when he was… just… a… child…

Sleep wrapped him gently in its cloak as the old mad gypsy crooned her lullaby to him.

Darkness reigned. Darkness like being drowned in a well of ink, so thick the edge could be an inch or a mile… though for some strange reason he could see himself clearly, boots standing on nothingness… A whisper reached his ear from somewhere impossibly far… a voice… oddly familiar… female… comforting… He knew the words… yet he didn’t… they greeted him… they… welcomed him… Home.

A shove to the side woke Pytor with a start. Bright, crisp morning greeted him with a chill wind. The horse snorted as he woke, shaking her long mane after having nuzzled him awake. Nearby Marta hummed as she stoked and fed the morning fire with small sticks while it crackled and popped. Sprigs of spruce and pine and cedar went into a pot of water, spreading their aroma through the damp air. Fog lay in patches all around them, especially near the babbling brook to one side of the camp.

Aha! she proclaimed as he stirred, You’re awake! Glancing about, Pytor finds himself settled in a pallet of many blankets against the sitting log; his gear laying nearby.

===
Did you want to pick those 4 language slots he has left? He gets common for free, and I’ll include the language of the Vistani free as well.
What do you think of the things so far? I like to get a gage on what works/doesn’t for each player before going too far.

[Obviously, Kartakass and any surrounding domains are utterly unfamiliar to him]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: Sorry for the delay. I tried to reply twice on a mobile and did not succeed.

A part of Pytor was thankful for the misty morn as the dawn light though lessened as it was, still seared his aching skull. So many questions for Marta he had now. Where they were no longer mattered. Twas obvious that she knew more about his past than had been revealed to Pytor... But the questions that would have to wait... He slowly sets about gathering enough wood to keep the fire for a few hours. By the second armload, most of the night's stiffness has left his frame... Looking at the mare still tethered where he left her the night before. "Pardon me Doyenne, if there is nothing else that I may be of help with for the moment, may I use your brush and salt block?" Placing the block in front of the mare, he begins combing out her coat. It takes him several minutes to clear the tangles and burs from her. "Easy girl. You stepped true last night, when most would have stumbled. It doesn't look like we'll be returning anytime soon. Perhaps, I should think of a name for you." Pytor checks her hooves and hocks for injury, then gives the nearby ground a quick glance for any bad plants or shrubs. Deeming the vegetation fit for consumption, he returns to Marta.

"Doyenne? Last night you spoke of my mother and claimed you are Zanda's sister? If that is indeed the case, please tell me what became of my mother and why was I placed in Zanda's care?"

=======

I assumed that his languages are from Genwald, which I am unfamiliar with. From his background, he would know the ones most commonly encountered human languages during the tribe's travels throughout the Sun Kingdom. After that, I would assume elven, dwarven, perhaps orcish if those races were encountered.

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 am 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Marta smiles approvingly as he gathers wood for the fire; which she soon sets to good use. She nods regarding the horse-care, gesturing to a box bound to the back of the wagon with iron straps; wherein he finds all of the normal horse-care supplies of a size to fit. He picks out some winter greens, and a few edible stalks as the old gypsy begins to warm a frying pan. Oddly he cannot seem to find any of the summer plants that should be in abundance, only hearty late-winter fare. Excellent boy, these will do nicely.

She rummages around in the wagon a moment and comes up with a cloth scrip containing eggs, a bit of cured sausage and some cheese in waxed linen. She also produces a round loaf of rye with a tough crust. Strength in the bones, strength in the will. she says, as she drops a generous dab of pork fat on the skillet. Soon the sounds and scents of sizzling breakfast fill the air. She cooks the greens up in the skillet alongside the sausage; the eggs frying next as the rest cools to an edible temperature. A pair of tin plates and utensils comes out next, along with cups for the evergreen tea.

Once they have broken the fast, she cleans the plates and things in the stream and scrubs the skillet with salt and an old cloth. After they have settled he asks his questions. Marta’s aged eyes take on a nostalgic cast, Would that I could have kept you myself, Pytor, but it was not safe… no… Your mother… she was a beautiful, proud woman. She was wise and brave and had The Sight, oooh far stronger than I ever had… She led our tribe when she was old enough, and she led it well.

Marta takes a drink of her tea, No drug in this. she admits. I am sorry for the other night, but you are only half of The Blood… the moon still holds sway over you at times. It was something for you to sleep… such a hard time you had and such a hard thing you must now hear… rest was necessary for it. She grimaces slightly, Necessary… Your mother saved you. She gave her life for you, in a way… She had a vision… a dream. She saw our entire camp, ten families! …bodies strewn about, all broken and torn and gnawed upon… she saw herself… yet she told no one… no one save me.

A forlorn look crosses her face, She knew speaking of it would not change the result… many times others have tried to change a dream, but when the Seer is strong, it never changes anything… rarely even does it delay the inevitable… She dreamed this three times. And each time she searched in her dream in the way only a dream-walker can. She searched for your face among the dead and could not find it, and so she knew that you at least might be saved. Two others she did not find, and she knew what must be done. Marta gathers her shawl tighter as if fighting a chill, though the day grew slightly warmer. She sent us three away, I and her son… and her daughter… The aged face smiles wanly, But you were much too young to travel such a dangerous place as this with only an old woman and a young girl to protect you… and so I turned to my sister to care for you; knowing by my own Sight that one day you would return to me… She grips his forearm tightly in a motherly crush, patting it with the other hand. Oooooh long have I waited this day, she says, tears welling up in weary eyes still keen as a knife.

====
Genwald, particularly the sun kingdom, is kind of a… melting pot. Pretty much any language would be possible, and a gypsy like himself in the central plains could probably make a case for any of them really (I mean even Kenku, Felis, crazy stuff like that).

Most humans in the country share a common language; though there are some tribal humans that have their own in the woods to the west. They are not very populous or important tribe, however. Another human language available would be those from the Orient, but one would be hard pressed to find a regular use for it even on Genwald; and it would be practically useless here.

Elven, Dwarven and Orcish would certainly be easy to acquire; as would any demihuman language and most humanoid tongues. Let me know when you have your choices finalized

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Pytor remains silent as she speaks... It is not that he disbelieves such things could have happened. What minor magics he has seen in his life prove such things possible. Still, such things happen to others, to strangers, never to anyone you know let alone yourself... But then much has already happened to him, he remembers. His secretive upbringing, the moon, Barsali... Somewhere deep inside, that special intuition which seldom failed him discerns truth to what he hears.

"I am unsure what to believe, Grandmother. I know nothing of my mother, not even her name." Pytor replies somberly as he tries to envision the women that Marta describes. "But what do you mean, I am only half of The Blood? Are we not all gypsies?"

Dread grips his heart as he poses the next question. "Did her vision come to pass? What fate befell her and the other members of the camp?"

For the first time in a long while, hope fills Pytor's heart."Have I a sister? Please tell me about her? Where is she now?"

=====
In that case, I'll choose Elvish, Dwarven, Orcish, and Sylvan.

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

Marta smiles again, kindly. Believe only what your heart tells you, child. But her name was Seyica Talindra Silvira… before she met the man Nikolai Fulcher who was your father... she felt his name would protect you, fearing hers had put you in danger. He was a simple man, but strong and loyal. He traveled with us for several years and we accepted him as our own… very rare for one not of the blood. In the way of some gypsies, they did not marry; though they took a bonding oath and had eyes only for each other. a sad look crosses her features, He passed from a sickness brought on by the mist… one neither I nor Seyica could cure… he was not of this place.

She shakes her head and shifts the conversation from Nikolai. Being Vistani is much more than being a simple gypsy, my child. The mists of this realm run their tendrils into many worlds… Some Vistana can glimpse the pattern of time, or follow the thread of the mist… it was in this way that I sent you to my sister Zanda… it was in this way that you returned to me. She smiles and takes out a small leather object, shaped like a coin. Rather than a mark of value and kingdom, it bore a fine embossment in the figure of a horse’s head with flowing curling mane. This is the symbol of our tribe, we are the Equaarian tribe of the Kaldresh Tasque or nation. It is this blood that flows in your veins… it is why your every touch and soothing word are heeded by the horses, even wild or unfamiliar horses. It is why Zanda has guided you in our customs, so that you read the Tralak as well as the tracks in the earth, and can speak the names of the plants and of the animals and find the fresh water.

She hands him the leather circle, leaning back as she goes on, But among many Vistani, being half is almost worse than nothing. To them, you are giomorgo… of the blood but not The Blood… be wary if you encounter them, they will know your heritage at a glance; though you would easily fool most locals… Those of the cities and towns and farms… they fear us sometimes… people dislike what they do not understand, and none truly understand The People… Traveling amongst them can be dangerous, but you will have a guide… someone to advise you in this where even I cannot.

Her face grows quite still at his next question. A long silence drew before she answered, Yes. The hollow word rang in the quiet of the camp. Yes, it came to pass… creatures… bloated, twisted things that used to be men… mindless and savage… they are called Goblyns, she practically spat the word. Not the pathetic wastrels of vermin that live in caves and poach sheep… these are strong and relentless with needle-sharp teeth… they do not eat… they do not sleep… they do not fear. She forces herself to calm, Adrastia will teach you of them, that has been her life-long study… to find and destroy as many of those… things as she can… and if possible find the source and master of them.

Pride and defiance replace the disgust, Adrastia Talindra Silvira. She is your sister, and a half-Vistana like yourself. She is the very image of your mother to look upon; and her spirit is like quick-fire wrapped in iron. It is she who can teach you of our people. She who can help you fight the Moon Madness, and learn to walk the balance in this world and of the hazards that exist… You will meet her soon, for we will cross their path ere long.

===
I forgot to add that the Equaar get a +4 to tracking. This has been adjusted on your sheet. The other powers for equaar listed in the VRG are for full vistani, though, but I figured that little bit extra would apply in addition to the Half-Vistani stuff listed in Domains of Dread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am 
Merchant
Merchant

There was so much for Pytor to process. Could it all be true? The regions she spoke of Kartakass... Sithicus, all were unknown to him. But he had seen the stars last night. Stars that did not shine anywhere upon the Sun Kingdom or its neighbors. He had once heard that if one traveled far enough South that new stars would appear in the sky. Yet in his heart, he knew this to not be the case. This was indeed a different world that he walked upon somehow. Could he go back? Would he even want to? All that waited for him in the Sun Kingdom was his shame... Here perhaps he could finally learn the truth and perhaps find penance.

Much he did not understand, the old woman's words seemed madness. Still, she was connected to him somehow, whether actually being his grandmother or not. He thoughts frequently turned to Barsali, as he would have been the one to whom Pytor would turn with things such as these. Each time the fear and shame waited, and each time Pytor felt the thirst for drink... But he was alone in a strange perhaps dangerous land, with a defenseless companion. There would be no time to drink.

"Well then Grandmother, let us be on our way to meet her. There is much to discuss, but nothing that we can not discuss while on the road." Unless she objects he sets about breaking camp, shouldering the tasks while she rests.

ProfileWWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm 
Royal Prince
Royal Prince

[Sorry for all of the fast-paced exposition, lol.]

She agrees and the two begin striking camp. She hitches up her horse with a practiced ease, tethering his so the wagon will lead it. Once ready she climbs up to the driving bench at the fore and motions for him to join her. The way through the woods here is very thick… often too thick for a mounted rider, much less a wagon… but when a path is laid out there is often a way where there should be no way. She chuckles to herself as she urges the horse on.

The wagon trundles through the forest along a narrow trail, branches scraping and scratching at it, making the origins of the damage to the paint quite clear. Before long the trees begin to thin out a little, and he can see a hilly countryside. She guides the cart up a gentle slope to the crest of one such hill. Far to the East he sees the tops of snow-capped mountains, Those are the Balinoks… great mountains of the domain of Bluetspur… To the West he sees a great forest, dense and full of evergreen; oddly no summer plants seem to be in leaf, nor any of the sights of bees or chittering and chirping of animals he would expect to be out this time of year… then again, it was unseasonably cold as well… This land of Kartakass is thick with forest… the forests here are dangerous for far more than simple wolves and bears… She gestures northward where he sees the edges of redstone cliffs snaking through the trees among the foothills. Many miles beyond those cliffs lies Gundarak, another domain… you may find yourself there someday. Their language will not be very different from your own. But the people of Kartakass speak a strange tongue, musical like that of the elves. They call it Harmonian, but you may be able to find someone who speaks elven if you were walk amongst them. she rambles on, almost as if making conversation.

Glancing at him she frowns. Something weighs heavily on your mind, my son… and your heart… what is it? Speak it to old Marta, and she will help you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:32 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Pytor hesitates before speaking. "My adopted cousin Barsali. We grew up together as children. Seldom were we apart. Even when Zanda made us swear the blood oath and taught us the Tralak, we did so together. When the moon started to affect me, Barsali saw it as his duty to watch over me." He gazes away trying to hide the tears that begin to well. "On the nights that I sought to flee into the wild, Barsali would attempt to restrain me, giving chase if he failed." Pytor sobs as he continues. "The full moon past was worse than any before. I awoke the next morning in the woods with mists much like last night. My arms and hands were covered in blood... and Barsali lay nearby, his skull crushed in." Several moments pass before Pytor has the resolve to continue. "Since then Barsali has haunted my thoughts day and night. But now... Now he has returned from beyond to stalk me."

ProfileWWW 

Advanced search