Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artanis Auir (Kerap)- Private Thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:24 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I don't know which is worse - that you suggested I voluntarily allow Artanis to go mad, or that I think it is an awesome idea?!? The Ranger side of him will be the practical voice, and the Druid side will be the whimsical, love sick voice. Oh the potential this will have. I won't have him go mad yet, but he's certainly dipping his toe in the pool of madness.
If he had stayed by the river fishing, I can imagine your post to the others in the OCC thread: "Well, Kerap's character made it to Harmonia, but has not only gone mad, but has gone fishing." :lol:

Artanis Auir

Roll to see if he understands what the person said: [1d100] = 50 Nope.

After making some additional mental notes, Artanis approaches the gate and when the voice hails him, he is a bit surprised but then laughs and shakes his head. Well of course they don't speak my language. I don't have to worry about talking to fish, you know. Any ideas? Now pause and think for a moment. That's a good idea - give them time to boil the oil to pour onto me. Very funny. It sounded a bit like elvish. Try hailing him in elvish. If that doesn't work, try every other language you know. If I get out of this mess, I'm going to marry a nice girl like Brittany...or Courtney...and become a farmer.

Artanis will reply to the guard, stating: Greetings. My name is Artanis, from Shadowdale and a weary traveler. May I enter the town? He will say this first in Elvish, and if no understanding/positive response, will try: Common, Dryad, Pixie, Orc, Hobgoblin and Gnomish.

OOC: Any of the girls he mentions are actually other characters of mine in the Forgotten Realms. That will be our inside joke.

The Fall: Bruno Dodd, The Iron Sheik, Denise Dodd, Ald, Dannii Dodd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:12 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[Ooc: I love the multi-color 'voices'... are you perchance a Deadpool fan? Namenlos and I have been having a lengthy discussion on the subject :). And don't worry, there's always the chance you'll fakil the madness check even if you are trying to resist :D

The guard seems a little surprised to hear Artanis speak a different language, and moves out of sight... though not with any great hurry or alarm. A few moments later the bridge is lowered with the heavy but smooth clatter of well-oiled chain. The foot-thick bridge of wood thumps into place, revealing two iron-bound gates twice the height of a tall man. Set in one is a smaller portal, with an iron-barred window set at face-height. A moment later a wooden panel behind is slid back to show the weathered face of what he can only assume is another guard... The human's skin is marked with scars and his hair has touches of grey, but his blue-violet eyes are clear and the half-elf gets the sense that they miss very little... Name and why here? the face asks in Elven that is both broken in grammar and unusual in accent...

[Btw, what is Artanis' eye and hair color? I may have forgotten to ask...]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:01 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I don't even know what Deadpool is. :? Sorry.
This is what the guy who originally created the character had listed for hair color, etc.: Tall and broad shouldered for a half-elf. At 5'6" and 152 lbs he can even look down on some humans. He has long flame colored hair and piercing green eyes, which he got from his human side. He has a dark tan, and weather burned cheeks, covered in a bushy beard the same color as hot iron.

Artanis Auir

Artanis is relieved that there is someone who he can converse with besides himself. The relief shows on his face as he manages a smile and an awkward bow. He replies in a measured pace in Elvish: "Artanis Auir, humble Shadoweir of Mielikki, from Shadowdale at your service. I was in the woods over there, pursuing and being pursued by an extremely large, and perhaps rabid wolf. As I cleared the fog I came upon the wolf, and found that something had killed it. Not wanting to meet whatever creature THAT was, I proceeded to walk briskly to the town. I am in need of lodging, a hot meal...and some fishing tackle." At various times during his reply he will point to illustrate his story - such as pointing to the woods, and where he walked. Including pointing to the locations along the river where he may go fishing.

OOC: Something that will be on his mind, once he realizes he is not dreaming, will be a bit of comparison. He was very unhappy with how Erodth and others in the Shadoweirs that were becoming militant. Now he comes across this place that seems very pleasant to him - at least right now. Pastures, farms, beautiful river, mountains...he (both of him) may decide to simply enjoy staying here. I may play that angle with him as well. It's another aspect of madness - much more subtle. A resignation almost. And since he can learn languages easily enough, I may have him start the assimilation process. That Local History NWP may come in handy yet! :read:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:58 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[Ooc: No worries about the deadpool thing ;) I forgot about that, he did post the info... been a long weekend...]

Shadow... huh.. of what? Wolf attack, is? Beast kill, or you kill? His experience with Elven is obviously not extensive, but he is at least able to communicate in a limited fashion. Need room and food? He glances over the half-elf's weapons, then inspects his face. Artanis gets the feeling he has memorized every line. The wooden block slides back, covering the opening. A long moment later he hears a bar sliding back and the small door-in-a-door opens. Two guards stand waiting on the other side in mail with hands resting casually on the sword hilts at their hips, though non-threateningly. Both are young and blonde with blue-violet eyes and wear black tabards depicting a golden lute.

The scent of livestock hits him, and beyond the guard he sees an array of large pens designed for holding sheep while being sheared or the like. It was obvious the peoples here took care of the animals well enough... and was that... singing? It sounds like a young man singing nearby, but nobody is around and it certainly isn't coming from the guards... in fact, the area seems pretty deserted... The door closes behind him, and he recognizes the man he had spoken to through the window. East, then East or South to big road. Two Inns, food... food at festival, too. He keeps Artanis' gaze a moment longer, Respect the law.

A small road leads past the pens to the East while another leads South into a poorer looking district. Most of the buildings he can see are single story and have thatched roofs and arch-top windows with heavy wooden shutters.

Attachments:
Heraldry_MikesAdamis_Harmonia.jpg
Heraldry_MikesAdamis_Harmonia.jpg [ 33.65 KiB | Viewed 4990 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:47 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I would not have expected you to remember hair and eye color - you've got more on your plate to worry about. (Besides, I didn't remember what colors he picked either)

Artanis Auir

Artanis smiles and nods his head in agreement. He speaks slowly and distinctly (in elvish): "Thank you." Where festival?

Artanis is going to follow the road past the sheep pens and at the first intersection, turn left (northeast) and follow that until he hits the main road. Then he'll turn right (southeast) and walk along the main road. Seeing and observing and listening. He should eventually reach the Songstrees Inn, which would be on his right. He'll scope that place out from the outside, but unless night is falling, he'll stay walking on that main road and "do the loop". Unless he encounters that festival...or a pretty, single girl.

His intention is to get a basic feel for the town by just scoping things out.
Take out some parchment and make a sketch - and add points of interest. This will help you learn your way around.
But I might miss meeting a cute girl or finding a shop that carries fishing tackle.
Enough about the fishing tackle!
But I like going fishing!
Alright. We'll compromise. Learn your way around and map today, and tomorrow you can go fishing.
Deal. I also have to find someone to teach me their language.
Maybe we'll come across a school or a teacher somewhere. And once we learn the language, we can get a job - perhaps as a guard.
I like that idea! You're pretty smart sometimes! Scope out the place, find a place to stay, learn the language, get a job, find a pretty girl and go fishing!

Artanis will take out some parchment and his pencil and commence making a crude map, noting down points of interest. As he strolls along the streets. At the moment, he's quite relaxed and even happy. He'll smile, say hello (in elvish and in common) and wave to folks he meets in the streets. He may be going mad, but he's a happy mad at least.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:11 am 
Emperor
Emperor

[Ooc: thanks. I guess I could have just looked at the picture in the description thread ;) ]

Festival at cliff side, he points eastward. Follow music to many people. Artanis sets off Eastward, turning north-ish at the first intersection, and it isn't long before he comes to the main road. It is a broad cobble-stone affair with a small dock just upriver. From here he sees an unusual construction set in the middle of the river. At first glance, it appears to be nothing more than a solid square tower of moss-covered stone set atop a somewhat larger rock base. The top of the tower is decorated with ornate carvings of gargoyles and monsters, many of them so lifelike that it seems they have but to wait for the sunset to spring to life and terrorize the countryside. A closer look, however, shows that there is a tunnel running through the center of the tower that would easily accommodate the largest of wagons. Further, a pair of worn, but sturdy, wooden bridges run from both sides of the river to the entrances to this tunnel. At several points along their lengths, ring pins have been set into the bridges. Well oiled chains stretch from these points to vanish into the mouths of the gargoyles atop of the tower. As you watch, a number of persons walk across the bridge, enter the tunnel, and exit from the far side of the tower to complete their passage over the river. They seem to be delayed for some time, perhaps a minute, within the dark tunnel before they exit, but there is no sign of what happens within. A secondary tunnel runs through the rock base, but it's purpose cannot be readily guessed as only about 2' of it's height is above the water line.

It isn’t long before he spots a two-story structure on the right, taking up that corner of the intersection. The building has been constructed so that it has a flat-faced view due East. At first it appears to be pointing to a large open courtyard with a single row of houses around, but then he sees a rise near the cliffs that lies in the same line. A large suite with doors made of over two dozen tiny windows leads to a small but ornate balcony. The balcony is perhaps three feet deep but at least three times as wide, forming most of this side of the second story. A large delicately carved and painted sign above the door shows a woman in red singing with hands folded at her waist. It is quite obviously one of the inns the guard mentioned. The sun is still high overhead, perhaps just a little past midday.

Continuing straight down the main road he sees a broad courtyard near the cliffs to the left with a military air about it. The city is on fairly level ground with only two significant rises aside from the high cliffs to the east. The first rise is a tall hill in the center of town, with an impressive hexagonal wall and a tower barely peeking over the top. The place looked heavily fortified and must be the center of the guard or the mayor or some such. The second rise was to the far southeastern corner of town, and looked to be a natural hill; at least from this distance. He could tell little else aside from the red-roofs and large structures…

Eventually he comes to a mansion of some type facing a park full of people with a fountain in the middle of the green. The music is quite obviously coming from beneath a large shell-shaped outcropping. Several carts are arrayed by the side of the road selling food and drink.

[Ooc: Making some long-term plans rather quickly, eh?]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:45 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I'm trying not to have him focused too much right now, thus he's a bit scattered. He knows the enemy behind him (in the woods) is probably worse than the current enemy in front of him - an unknown town. So he's moving forward. He also thinks that: 1) He's dreaming - in which case, he'll wake up. or 2) He's dead and this is his eternal resting place - may as well settle in and enjoy. or 3) He's gone crazy - if so, have fun. or 4) Something he can't explain has happened - just roll with it. Plus factor in that he's not happy with the direction his Order is heading and well, maybe this isn't so bad.
The practical side of him, the Ranger, wants to gather information and knowledge, and thus figure out a way to return home. The impractical side of him, the Druid, says the heck with it, find a nice girl and go fishing.
So I am trying to role play that conflict within him, and now in particular, the practical side verses the impractical side. And if he catches both of those fish (girl and real fish) he's staying. :lol:

Artanis Auir

Artanis notes on his map where that Inn was located but seems much more interested and pleased with finding the festival. He's going to walk around, listen if anyone speaks a language he knows (and try to pick up a few words of the local language if possible) and try to get something to eat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:07 am 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: that officially makes him the 3rd PC to think "this place aint so bad"... two of them have considered living here seriously :D]

The half-elf makes a note on his map, then begins meandering about keeping his ears and eyes open. Everyone seems to be speaking the strange language that the guard spoke, he feels as if he could pick it up given enough time. He does his best to retain what he can, but without a reference it is rather difficult. Approaching one of the carts, he can see from the lines that they are serving roasted meat (lamb or chicken) and root veggies on skewers. One meat and one veggie skewer would almost make a meal. There are also drink carts with wine, ale and mead, meat pies and another with fried squares of dough (think beignets). Watching the line he realizes something... nearly everyone in town has blonde or whitish hair, with perhaps another 3/10 with black hair. He looks around to confirm his suspicion and only sees one exception. A lady standing near the fountain some 50 yards away has bright red hair like his own...

[Artanis wis check at park [1d20] = 2: pass well. Artanis notices a couple of things]
[Alright, enough of this. Lets move you to the Main Game Thread!!!]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: That makes for some easy, future adventure hooks. Three characters will already be living here. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: lol. if you guys are able to stay, sure :bat: ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:22 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: For handy reference when playing the coin game.

Thac0: Base: 19 (18 w/missile weapons); THAC8 = 10.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:22 am 
Merchant
Merchant

Posted here for easy, future reference.

While the others are at the bar, the ranger slips away to the door for some air. Taking a deep breath, the fresh, crisp air fills his lungs. Music greets him almost immediately, coming from the amphitheatre across town. Heading northward along the narrow road, the half-elf spots a couple of nicer shops and some fine looking homes. The road itself moves up the steep hill that looms 15’ before him, dead-ending at the iron-bound gate. Above the hill itself rises the 12’ stone wall, the upper quarter of which is detailed with fine carvings of singers and musicians who must have been held in high regard. Just above the high wall peeks the top of a tower. The entire affair is likely large enough to house a small army, though little can be seen aside from the hexagonal wall itself…

The day has become a little overcast and windy, but not stormy just yet… it doesn’t look like it will rain but the clouds show a nearly solid light-grey mass above. The walls of Harmonia all seemed in good repair, as does the strange hexagonal structure on the hill in the center of town… Between the cliffs, the river and the wall the entire place seems rather secure. Here and there he spots pairs of guards on patrol. While they seem more on the lookout to help those who get too far into their cups, they are all armed and armored wearing chainmail and helm with those black tabards over them… If he had to simplify his evaluation of the place it would be secure but relaxed.

Taking the Eastern side-street he circumvents the structure since there is no road next to it that doesn’t lead directly to the locked gates. Moving further northward he passes the open area to the northeast that must be for military drills. It seems the best, perhaps s only, place for fishing is the river itself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:15 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

To the west of the Whirling Bridge of Harmonia (as indicated on the map) seems to be an island. He's going to casually stroll along the side street that leads to the smaller bridge to that island.

Does the wall follow the river, or is the town open to the river?

Being a Ranger/Druid, the bar scene just wasn't for him, so he's taking in some sights while it is still light. He'll make sure he's back at the Songstress by nightfall.

And he finds that "Whirling Bridge" very fascinating.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:39 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: The river is the border, no wall there. The river is also very swift and deep, so invaders attempting to swim it would end up a few hundred yards downstream at best before making it across. And yeah, It was very in-character to strike out a bit ;) Btw, he has a room a the Wayfarer's Rest, not the Songstress...]

Taking the Westward road along the river, Artanis soon comse to a small wooden bridge that looks like it can be easily collapsed. There are perhaps a half dozen guards around the bridge talking and enjoying the music. The structure on the small island is very plain and sturdily built, and has a decidedly military air about it with ramparts and arrow slits dotting it. It is probably designed to guard the docks and whirling bridge from assault by river... Behind it is a squat stone building of some sort, perhaps a barracks or a storehouse. It is unlikely the guards will let him pass the bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:06 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: Well that explains why I was struggling to follow your descriptions. I errantly supposed the group was at the Songstress - so when I said he was going north, it was from there. :lol: Picture me sitting on my computer, reading your description, then looking at the map, all while I'm thinking he went north from the Songstress. :roll:
With the taller landmarks visible at various locations in the town, it would not be difficult to learn one's way around. Having traveled extensively for work, when there are tall landmarks, it's easy to find your way around.

Artanis is impressed and approves of what he sees on the island for the town's defense. He begins to walk in a southern direction on the side streets.

OOC: He'll stroll along the side streets and (hopefully) intersect the main loop near the Blacksmith's building. Then he'll walk along the main loop until he reaches the Wayfarer's Inn. If still light, he'll investigate the south gate and then go to the Wayfarer's Inn.
I know that time is passing at a different clip for him than the others, so let me know when he can pop back into the main game thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Advanced search