Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artanis Auir (Kerap)- Private Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:26 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: Approximately how far away are these glowing, golden orbs for eyes?

Artanis keeps a firm grip on his weapons as he follows the progress of the eyes - being careful not to get mesmerized by them. His stance will assume a defensive posture, reacting as necessary. Every now and again, he steals a glance left and right to make sure there are not more of these creatures.

The Fall: Bruno Dodd, The Iron Sheik, Denise Dodd, Ald, Dannii Dodd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

It is difficult to tell the size of the beast through the fog, since the space depends on the species of the animal. Somewhat like watching an enormous bird at a distance, with no solid reference it was nearly impossible to tell the distance. Had it been a rearing bear he would have said 80 yards... if a horse had eyes like that... maybe 20...

He risks a quick glance to the sides, but rather than additional eyes he sees something almost more horrifying... Erodh had lowered his weapin amd slowly approached the area, a look of wonder on his face...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:59 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I needed to copy this in for reference, as this is a Character Class I have no experience with. In game post will follow this one.

Shadoweirs

Named for the greatest trees of the forests, the shadowtops and the weirwoods (see September 1987 Dragon), this is a highly secretive branch of the faith that originated in the northern reaches of the High Forest. Its members consist solely of half-elven multi-classed priest/rangers, and its membership has spread beyond the High Forest, throughout all of Faerun.

The Shadoweirs serve as a sort of religious knighthood of the woods. Unlike the Arms of the Forest or even the Needles, the Shadoweirs serve as an activist and proselytizing order who are willing to go on the offensive in the behalf of their sacred forests. In a sense, the Shadoweirs serve as a sort of woodland paladin. Moreover, they seek to advance the re-growth of ancient forests reduced by civilization. Many Shadoweirs are adventurers, wandering the Realms with missionary zeal. They seek to halt the endless assault of civilization on their ancient homelands.

Any character taking this specialty priest kit/class must be a half-elf of NG alignment. Advancement follows the normal rules for a multi-classed priest/ranger.

SHADOWEIR Portfolio: Knight of the Forests (Worships Mielikki)
Requirements: Strength 13, Dexterity 13, Constitution 14, Wisdom 14, Charisma 12; alignment NG
Weapons Allowed: any; prefer swords, bows, spears, lances, and quarterstaff
Armor allowed: any; prefer chain mail, elven chain mail, studded leather
Major Spheres: All, Animal, Combat, Healing, Plant, Weather, Sun
Minor Spheres: Divination, Elemental, Protection
Magical Items Allowed: As priest or ranger

Granted Powers & Requirements:
* Shadoweirs may not turn or command undead.
* Shadoweirs gain all the abilities of rangers.
* Shadoweirs must follow the ranger experience point progression in both their ranger and priest classes. Their bonus HPs due to constitution are calculated as if they are warriors (i.e. a Shadoweir with a 17 Constitution will get +3 hp /level).
* Shadoweirs gain proficiency in both elvish and common at no cost.
* All Shadoweirs may cast a variant of the first level priest spell analyze magic (ToM) at will. (5 Character Points) This ability works only on forested areas (not characters, creatures, or objects). Through the use of this ability Shadoweirs are able to detect if the ecology of a forested area is seriously disrupted. Shadoweirs are obligated to attempt to correct the imbalance, even if this requires them to go against the local law of the region Shadoweirs are obligated to use this ability at any time they think a region could be ecologically out of balance.
* Shadoweirs must correct an ecological imbalance of significance proportional to their level before advancing in level as a priest and a ranger (as decided by the DM).
* Shadoweirs can pass through overgrown areas (5 charecter points) (thick thorn bushes, tangled vines, briar patches, etc.) without leaving a trail and at a normal movement rate after reaching third level in both classes.
* As with paladins, Shadoweirs may call for a war horse upon reaching 5th level in both classes, or anytime thereafter. This faithful steed need not be a horse; it may be whatever sort of creature is appropriate to the character (as decided by the DM). Note female Shadoweirs often receive a unicorn for a mount, assuming they are of acceptable status to the unicorn. A Shadoweir's war horse is a very special animal, bonded by fate to the warrior. The Shadoweir does not really ~call~ the animal, nor does the horse instantly appear in front of him. Rather the character must find his war horse in some memorable way, most frequently by a specific quest.
* Shadoweirs are immune to charm spells cast by woodland creatures (dryads, nixies, etc.) (5 character points) after reaching 7th level in both classes.
* Shadoweirs gains the ability to shapechamge into a reptile, bird, or mammal once per day (5 points) after reaching 9th level in both classes. The size can vary from that of a bullfrog or a small bird to as large as a black bear. Upon assuming a new form, the Shadoweir heals 10 to 60 percent of all damage he has suffered (round fractions down). The Shadoweir can only assume the form of a normal (real world) animal in its normal proportions, but by doing so he takes on all of that number of attacks, and damage per attack. The Shadoweir’s clothing and one item held in each hand become part of the new body; these reappear when the Shadoweir resumes his normal shape.

· The items cannot be used while the Shadoweir is in animal form.

Raiment:

* Shadoweirs prefer suits of gleaming chain mail or studded leather armor. Many powerful forest knights wear ancient suits of elven chain mail they have been given by elven lords for their efforts in defending the forests. During ceremonies, they wear chain mail and deep forest green cloaks weaved by dryads from the leaves of the great trees. Their symbol is of a giant shadowtop tree with a pair of crossed swords overlaying it.

New Spells:

In addition to their normal complement of priest spells, Shadoweirs may also select from the following list:
call woodland beings
commune with nature.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:55 am 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

Seeing that Erodth is mesmerized by these eyes, Artanis attempts to react quickly and non-violently by simply tripping Erodth so that he falls.

OOC: I'm bringing myself up to speed on this character class, Shadoweirs. It states that they are an activist and proselytizing order and will go on the "offensive". That term "offensive" can be interpreted several ways. It seems that Erodth has interpreted it to mean violence and attacking human settlements and any humans that intrude into the forest. Perhaps his thoughts being to kill them before they start destroying the forests. Such as position seems to be, at least to Artanis, at variance with the NG alignment.

Artanis seems to be more inclined to interpret "offensive" as being proactive with negotiating with the humans for controlled growth and expansion. So he has an internal conflict right now. I have to also educate myself on Mielikki as that should and could influence his reactions. If Artanis believes that Erodth's views, goals and ambitions are evil, then the goddess may be using this creature to "eliminate" this dark, fallen servant of hers. Thus who is Artanis to disobey the will of the goddess?

Without telling me what to do, any advice on the interpretation of the goals of the Shadoweirs would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Artanis approaches to intercept or trip Erodh, but fortunately his movement is enough to snap the elder man out of his daze. When he looks away, the eyes disappear. Winnix begins to whine and look around in confusion, as if he had suddenly lost the scent..

[OOC: Erodh is definitely starting to grow more fanatical. What Art is only beginning to see hints of is that his own sect has diverged from the true teachings. Perhaps that is what Pollut wanted evidence of... or is he involved and feeling Artanis out as a sympathetic soul...?

The teachings (as I interpreted and as the original player intended) is that the Shadoweirs are tasked with keeping the balance between the ancient forest and civilization by preventing and/or avenging wrongs against nature (such as poaching animals, taking much more land than necessary, etc) and in extreme cases 'taking back' small portions only when absolutely necessary. Erodh is taking it a couple steps further by wanting to pre-emptively tip the balance the other way.

All the character point mentions make me think that excerpt came from a 'player's option' book. We had been using the write-up from the Forgotten Realms 'Faiths and Avatars' book. I can get you some info on it if you need but most of the mechanicals are broken down in his stat block

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:23 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

Artanis quietly says to Erodh: Are you alright? It seemed like you were a bit out of sorts for a few moments there. Whatever that was, it's gone now.

OOC: After you mentioned the Faith and Avatars book, I looked the class up in it. And it has the exact same description for their purpose as above. (I found the above doing a search on the internet - that's what I found, but it didn't cite the source. Could be some obscure Player's Option.)
The description of their purpose is just vague enough to cause some head scratching. When does "missionary zeal" cross the line and violate the NG alignment of both themselves and Mielikki? One of those, no definitive answer questions. I'm just wanting to get a better understanding of this specialty class so I can role play him correctly. So I hope you don't think I'm being a pain. He probably should have gone for a "Woodscout" from the "Warriors and Priests of the Realms" - seems better defined.

My posting will be sporadic Wednesday. I've got an Out Patient procedure (prostate biopsy) in the morning and I may be loopy for quite a while afterwards. That's my disclaimer if I make any bizarre posts tomorrow. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: sorry for the slow posting here. I had a lot of stuff going on at home and work. I hope your procedure went well.]

Yeah... he says, still sounding dazed. Those eyes... Wait! Where is it? he asks with a hoarse urgency, eyes scanning the fog wildly. Winnix is still searching about, sniffing the air. His hackles rise and he turns and growls low at Erod, slowly backing away. The half elf looks to his animal companion with shock and concern. Slowly the reality of the situation dawns on him. He whips around just in time to raise his sword as a blur of mist-grey set with great golden orbs falls upon him with blinding speed. Erodh lets out a pained cry of fear and desperation as dagger-sized teeth crunch deeply into his shoulder.

Frantically the elder Shadoweir batters at the creature with his longsword, desperately trying to force it to release him. Winnix lunges at the massive thing and clamps down on it, tugging with all of his might at the grey hide. The beast lets Erodh go, and one toss of it's massive head sends the 130 lb dog sprawling several yards away. Scrambling backwards the bloodied half-elf makes it to his feet, holding his sword straight at the thing with a quivering arm. After the initial shock and chaos of the attack wear off, Artanis can finally make out the shape of the beast... The bloodied muzzle of a wolf the size of draft horse turns to Artanis!

[OOC: Actions and initiative for round 1?]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:52 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: We all get just a little busier this time of year. Procedure went well, thanks for asking. :)

Artanis Auir

Initiative Roll: [1d10] = 4

Artanis quickly assess the situation, and figures using his Entangle spell will do more harm than good, opts to use his weapons and attack the creature, and hopefully the trio, working together, can take it down. The Shadoweir readies for his attacks, closing to melee distance and looking for the opportunity to strike. Erodth. Let us combine and coordinate our attacks on the beast!

OOC: I will hold off rolling the attacks until instructed to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:50 am 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: Any time I say ‘actions and initiative’ you can go ahead and roll for any of your actions that you have planned, just to keep things moving. When you attack, go ahead and roll to-hits and damage for all your attacks that round together. Play-by-post can be sluggish sometimes, and I have found this helps move things along. Something may interrupt what you are trying to do (like an enemy getting killed before you get to attack), but I’ll take care of that in-post. Rather than waste your action, I’ll have the character do something else reasonable for the situation or you can describe what you intend if the attempted maneuver fails.]

Artanis’ words have a solidifying effect on Erodh, and his arm steadies. Right. He seems focused on me at the moment. You attack it from the flank and I’ll strike the second after when it is temporarily distracted. He cross-draws his own handaxe and calls out to his other ally, Winnix, you there boy? A weak cry comes from the hound as he takes his feet, but he shakes himself vigorously and emits a low growl, turning to face the creature.

[Don’t worry about re-rolling initiative for the round, just add-in your intended attacks]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 am 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: Sounds good to me. Whenever I'm working with a DM I have not worked with before, I don't like to assume combat posts.

Artanis Auir

Artanis swipes at the creature with his longsword, but in his haste and nerves, his misses the wolf by a large margin. He takes a swing with his short sword, but fares no better as it too misses by a wide margin. The Shadoweir mutters under his breath that maybe the entangle spell would have been a better choice after all.

Game Mechanics:
Attack #1:
[1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6
Attack #2:
[1d20] = 5

OOC: What are the odds of rolling the exact same number twice in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:46 am 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: Lol. If the Unseen Servant site is ‘truly’ random (though I suspect it and IC both are not) it would be 1/400 on a d20… “curse you probabilityyyyyy!” To keep the clutter down, I won’t bother linking rolls for things that don’t directly affect the PC like Erodh’s and the Wolf’s attacks against each other. If the wolf attacks Artanis, however, I will link those.]

Artanis slashes at the beast’s flank, but his blades both catch nothing but air as the animal evades him by moving before either of the humanoids can act. The Grizzly-sized canine lunges, slipping Erodh’s guard and savagely ripping into his side. Shaking his toothy maw he thrashes the elder Shadoweir about like a dog with a toy. A harrowing scream escapes his gritted teeth as he flails about with his weapons. The longsword fails to connect, but the hand axe comes down straight on top of the thing’s head causing it to release him.

The broad gash stains the furry crown crimson but the wound heals over in seconds! The still-wet blood remaining the only sign of the attack. Quickly righting himself after his release Erodh staggers visibly, favoring his right side where blood leaks from his badly torn studded leather armor. He stares at the Wolf’s healed wound with morbid fascination. What…? Oh goddess…!

[A&I R2?]
==========
Round 1:
Initiative:
Wolf: 5
Artanis: (4+4): 8
Erodh: (10+5): 15
Winnix: N/A (stands up)

Wolf attacks Erodh: [1d20]=9 (-6 ac)= 15: Hit! for 8 dmg! Erodh is Hurt Badly

Artanis attacks the Wolf with his Longsword +1: [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6: Missed!
Artanis attacks the Wolf with his Short Sword: [1d20] = 5: Missed!

Erodh attacks the Wolf with his longsword: [1d20] = 2: Missed!
Erodh attacks the Wolf with his hand-axe: [1d20] = 16: Hit! Weapon Ineffective!

Winnix stands back up

A note on ‘obvious damage’: (I think this is in the rules or ooc thread as well)
Barely scratched [90% hps]
Hurt [75% hps]
Hurt badly [50% hps]
Hurt critically [25% hps]
About to die [10% hps]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:40 pm 
Merchant
Merchant

OOC: I just saw the "A&I R2" sentence. Doh! If Erodth is a Shadoweir, shouldn't he be able to cure his own wounds? Unless he foolishly forgot to select any curative spells.

Artanis Auir

Initiative Roll: [1d10] = 9

Artanis is shocked to see his fellow Shadoweir on the receiving end of such a terrible bite. "I'll continue trying to strike it, while you cure your wound."

Artanis steps forward again, and strikes at this creature with his longsword. [1d20+1] = 12+1 = 13
Damage if hit: [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6

After seeing that Erodth's axe did not good against this creature, Artanis suspects that his short sword will do no good either. But it may serve to distract the creature and allow Erodth to act freely. So Artanis swings at the creature with his short sword as well.
Attack: [1d20] = 20 Oh sure! Natural 20 with an ineffective weapon! Artanis is toast. Probably time for me to create another character. :lol:
Damage: [2d6] = 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:51 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: Well, Artanis has 2 cure lt wounds, entangle and shilleleagh, but I guess you knew that since you mentioned entangle earlier. Erodh may have some memorized, but he's a little distracted/scared out of his gourd/in melee right now ;) ]

Erodh separates himself from the creature long enough to cast a healing spell on himself, and stands much straighter afterwards. The beast attacks him again, but he is ready and escapes with only a light nip at his leg.

With the creature preoccupied, Artanis connects with his longsword, scoring a solid hit to the creature's side. Whirling, it snarls at him but turns back to it's primary prey... that is until Art's second strike punches through his lower abdomen, piercing it's lungs. Coughing and gasping for air, the secondary wound quickly knits itself up, while the strike from the longsword remains... The grey wolf turns his attentions to the younger Shadoweir...

==========
Round 2:
Initiative:
Erodh: (1+5): 6
Wolf: 7
Artanis: (9+4): 13

Erodh moves back and casts cure light wounds on himself for 8 hps! Erodh is now Barely Scratched

The wolf attacks Erodh: 12: hit! for 2 dmg.

Artanis attacks the wolf with his Longsword +1 [1d20+1] = 12+1 = 13, barely hit! for 6 dmg! The wolf is Hurt
Artanis attacks the wolf with his short sword [1d20] = 20! Hit Artanis crit confirmation [1d20] = 3. Crit confirmed! Damage: weapon unable to cause permanent damage. Creature stunned for 1 round!

[OOC: wow. the wolf does max dmg one round, then min dmg the next... and you crit with an ineffective weapon... lol. Fortunately for you, one of my homebrew rules is that weapons incapable of doing permanent damage can still stun on a crit!]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:48 am 
Merchant
Merchant

Artanis Auir

OOC: The beauty of the dice - we'll get game flow you simply can't script that well.

Artanis has a mixed reaction to seeing his deep, penetrating sword strike heal over immediately. He's relieved that he hasn't completely lost his swordsmanship, but very irritated that his clean hit did little actual damage to the creature. "Let's keep after this creature, Erodth! Together we can prevail."

Game Mechanics:

Initiative: [1d10] = 8

Attack #1 with +1 Longsword: [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12
Attack #2 with shortsword: [1d20] = 1 I can't make this stuff up! :lol:

Artanis loses his focus for a few moments, as he swings with longsword, but then as he attempts to take a swipe with the shortsword, it slips from his grip. Luckily the leather strap around the hilt and his wrist keep the blade from falling to the ground. It lightly swings and dangles from his wrist as he wryly comments: "Maybe I should have stayed in bed today."

OOC: Just FYI. There is some method to his "madness" for chattering a bit now. He sees that Erodth is a bit addled. Artanis hopes that by talking and encouraging, Erodth will regain his focus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

[OOC: Sorry for the delay. I swear I typed up a response for this on Sunday and thought I posted it, the rolls are even on Unseen servant still... I must have just hit ‘preview’ or something… I feel like such a newb… Good thing I remember what happened!]

Hacking and coughing from a punctured lung, the Wolf makes no move to attack. Winnix, on the other hand, finally gathers himself enough to attack the rear of the great beast. Unfortunately his teeth are unable to pierce the creature’s hide, and he hardly gets a mouthful of fur besides. Erodh sheathes his own longsword and draws a small dagger from his belt. Letting the hand-axe fall to the ground he leaps forward, stabbing down with the knife in both hands. His strike misses as he had anticipated the wolf dodging his attack in a certain direction, which it failed to do.

Artanis takes advantage of his enemy’s distraction and slashes at it with his longsword, fully expecting to miss. The half-elf is surprised when the canine fails to dodge and he cuts a long gash across its ribs! Bostered by his success, he stabs with all of his might with his off hand. This proves futile as the short sword slips from his grasp! Thankfully the leather strap keeps it from falling to the ground.

Shaking itself furiously, the mist-grey monster regains its composure. The younger Shadoweir’s longsword seems to be taking a gradual toll..

[A&I R 4?]

[OOC: good news, your longsword actually hit since the wolf lost his dex bonus for being stunned. I rolled your dmg on Unseen servant. I also roll to ‘confirm’ crits or fumbles. The details are listed in the rules thread, but basically if your second roll is anything but a 1 or 20 then the crit or fumble is confirmed. Double 1s are super-fumble, double 20s super-crit, 1 then 20 just misses, 20 then 1 just hits.]
==========
Round 3:
Initiative:
Winnix: 7
Erodh: (3+5): 8
Artanis: (8+4): 11
Wolf: stunned for the round (loses dex bonus, +2 to hit vs wolf!)

Winnix attacks the wolf: [1d20] = 9 + 2(stunned opponent): 11, miss!

Erodh attacks the wolf with his dagger +1: 7 + 2(stunned opponent): 9, miss!

Artanis attacks the wolf with his Longsword +1: [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 + 2(stunned opponent): 14, Hit! for
Artanis Damage R3 vs Wolf [1d8+1] = 3 + 1 = 4: 4 damage!
Artanis attacks the wolf with his Short Sword: [1d20] = 1 + 2(stunned opponent): 3. Miss! Artanis Fumble Confirmation [1d20] = 11: Fumble confirmed! Artanis loses his grip on his short sword!

The wolf is no longer stunned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Advanced search