Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:10 am

Advanced search

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mira Rhelarwen (Jenara)- Private Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:00 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Mira rubs her forehead for a few moments before picking up the axe and hefting it in her palm like she'd seen woodsmen do. "This one." She says with as much confidence as she can muster. The strange lady said she needed it, she could either get a weapon to actually fight this creature, or she could just be stuck here.

"Two?" She raises two fingers then reaches into her pouch for two steel pieces. "Speaking my language takes its toll on you, doesn't it? Do you have any who cast spells? I could perhaps learn one to talk to you."

Turning back to the man she shows him the coins, did they even use Steel pieces in this place?

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:29 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Mira examines the axe more closely, and checks the weight. It seems no better nor worse than any other weapon to her, save perhaps the dagger. It is well balanced, and could probably be thrown or used in melee. She begins to dig out her coin as she continues her conversation with the Raunie.

Yes, the old woman replies weakly to her first question, but only because I am beyond the years of most natural peoples… The others will speak to you in the language of this land. It will come to you slowly, but it will serve you well. Persist… She pauses a moment to catch her breath and Mira presents the coins to the vendor.

He is a little taken aback at them, then looks to the Matriarch confusedly and begins to open his mouth. Accettarli. Sarete in grado di usarli abbastanza presto, she speaks, forestalling his question. Whatever she said worked, and he accepts the coin saying Un commercio equo e solidale. Parlarle in Harmoniee. The old woman corrects him. Un commerce equitable. he bows touching his right hand to his heart. The two men wait to see if there is anything else she would like to purchase. If not, they roll up their packets and store them near their seats.

Almost miraculously, she seems to understand the gist of what he is saying. Fair trade… it must be some kind of tradition with them… Though it is but a minor success, she feels some small comfort in her progress. She then asks about magic, but the old woman shakes her head. We have no magic… at least none like most of the rest of the world. The Visitani have their own… abilities, but they cannot be learned by those not of the blood. Giorgio. The previously silent younger woman chimes in.

[OOC: Good timing on passing the check. Mira seems to make her rolls when it counts ☺
The Harmonian language is similar to Elven in that it has a distinct tonal quality. Knowing Elven grants you a 5% bonus to understand any given statement. Being a bard, the tonal quality makes it easier for you to learn, so you will get a +2%/day spent among people speaking it rather than +1%/day for non-bards. As long as the person you are trying to communicate with is cooperating and has time, you can make several attempts at communication rather quickly. Spending a full round trying to communicate will multiply your score by 3. You can retry the next round if you fail. Naturally this is only possible as long as their patience allows ;) Mira’s current “Harmonian Lang score” is 5%, but will be 7% by this time tomorrow.

Since the rest of the party is getting closer to meeting up we may have to montage briefly in the near future if that’s ok with you. This is in order to work-in your ‘acquired knowledge of Ravenloft’ that we rolled for during character creation; as well as allowing the bard’s ‘little bit of everything’ knowledge to make sense in this setting. It will also benefit Mira in other ways that may become important later.]

[Mira purchases a Hand Axe with a silver blade for 2 Stp]
[Mira Lang Check (5%): 1d100=3. Success!]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:15 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

"I understood, I actually understood." She says with her first smile in what seemed like ages. "Please tell him that steel is the currency on Krynn.. With all the wars the only thing worth anything is steel these days." Swinging her pack round she checks carefully on her lute, stroking it lovingly.

"Your people may have no magic, but you have... Something." She says as she strokes the wood, "You've been so generous, can I help somehow? Being around you all might help me understand the language."

OOC: Sounds good to me, I was sort of guessing that was the plan, and the language will come slowly, and that's all good. I went for the handaxe because it has many uses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:26 am 
Emperor
Emperor

The old woman smiles. You might favor us with a song before we're to bed. It is quite late. Something uplifting, perhaps. She watches the readhead knowlingly, the implication that it might help Mira's spirits tonight plain as well. The others watch her casually as well, not having understood the common language of Krynn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:07 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

"They won't understand the words. But music is universal." Mira responds in a serious tone, her lute cuddled to her body. "In the morning, when you are less tired could you tell me of this place, and perhaps teach me some words?" There is a pleading tone to her voice, she was trying to cling onto something that might help her. "And I would like to know what you saw, you said there were others?"

She had things to do, her pack to mend, although a Cantrip should help.. Plucking the fifth and sixth courses of the lute her trained ear picked up the flat tone, the G was too low.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:49 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The Visitani know better than most of music, we will play some for you tomorrow. I would be happy to tell you more in the morning. She nods patietly at Mira's string of questions, All in time, child. All in time. We will not send you unprepared. She pats her arm gently.

Mira Rhelarwen, exhausted, injured, cold and damp, sat down with her lute. The warm wood was a constant companion, a rock of familiarity in a turbulent world... moreso tonight than ever before. Plucking her cords she hears the sour note, but expertly tunes it up using the harmonics from the other strings. Even so mundane an adjustment reaffirms her in a significant way. Strumming the instrument gently, the sound wells within her and, for the moment, all is as it should be. She is here where she belongs, with her music and an audience... Something upbeat, she said... Mira thought to herself...

[Ooc: nwp checks for performing aren't normally necessary. Some exceptions are: if you are playing for money (helps determine your earnings), if you are trying to play an extremely technical piece, if you are trying to play your heart out. I'll leave it to you if you want to roll a skill check for this one. I mostly use the rules from Complete bard for this type of stuff]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:33 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Mira sits cross legged, Lute resting in her lap as she strums a few notes, they ring clear and melodic through the forest, she had song in her heart.

"Come live with me and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That hill and valley, dale and field,
And all the craggy mountains yield.

There we will sit upon the rocks,
And see the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.

There I will make thee beds of roses
And a thousand fragrant posies,
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroidered all with leaves of myrtle;

A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
Fair lined slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold;

A belt of straw and ivy buds,
With coral clasps and amber studs:
And if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me and be my love.

Thy silver dishes for thy meat,
As precious as the gods do eat,
Shall on an ivory table be
Prepared each day for thee and me.

The shepherds' swains shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my love."

Upon finishing the song she sits silently, the simple accompaniment ending as she draws the Lute once more to her body, stifling a yawn she raises her head and eyes the people around her

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:27 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Mira begins to play, and though the words are alien to her audience, the melody soon reaches their hearts. It is clearly a happy and gentle song, which moves the middle aged couples to snug closer together, stroking shoulders and hair. The older man has a far-off look in his eyes, as if reminiscing on pleasant days long past. Even the mercurial raven-haired beauty softens a bit and drifts over to the young man. Looping her arm through his and laying her head on his broad shoulder, the two sway slowly hip to hip.

As the final strains hang in the air everyone seems to savor the last notes a moment more. Finally the young man claps hard against his chest with his free hand, soon joined by the other men slapping thighs or shoulders. The women clap more delicately with their hands... all except the younger girl who gives her an appraising look. She holds the young man's arm tighter, but gives Mira a nod of... was it acceptance? Or maybe acknowledgement.

When the clapping is over, the men begin to douse the fire and clear things away. The younger girl goes to help the Raunie settle in, but gives the young man one final look before she shuts the door from inside. The two other women come to speak with her. C'est beau ma chère. Nous avons un endroit pour dormir. Venez avec nous, il sera plus chaud à l'intérieur. the first says, smiling sweetly. Mon mari devra jouer pour vous demain. Vous l'apprécierez, je pense. The second woman adds before giving her a light, almost motherly, kiss on the cheek. She then goes to the man who sold her the axe, and they head for one of the wagons. Though the first lady's words were too fast for her, it seems the second woman offered for her husband to play some Visitani music for Mira tomorrow. Perhaps getting the hang of this new language wouldn't be so bad after all!

The other men quickly complete their clean up, and the fire us doused. The fog has dispersed somewhat, and the trees here are much taller and older than Mira had imagied. A blue-white glow shone overhead through a low cloud. The white moon must be almost full... but hadn't it been waning a few days ago? Not even trusting her memory this late, or early rather, she dismissed the thought. The elder man walked to the lead wagon as the young man ran up to Mira. He smiles broadly at her and bows from the waist with one hand to his chest. He begins to speak, but the old man calls him Bertolli... all'alba arriva presto domani... The young man smiles nervously and bows again before rushing back to the wagon and joining the older man inside. The woman still by Mira gives a knowing smile and watches him go. Finally, the remaining couple head off and gesture for her to follow, leading the redhead to the last wagon, next to the Raunie's at the far end.

[Ooc: Marlowe, yes? Nice.
Lang checks: 1d100=38, 1d100=4 fail, pass!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:25 am 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Feeling somewhat renewed Mira shoulders the Lute and stands motionless for a few seconds, whatever was out there was gone for now, she'd found shelter.. Life was confusing but at least she was alive.

Taking the hint she follows the lady to her wagon and smiles. "Thank you." She says with a smile and a small curtsy.

(Indeed, The Passionate Shepherd to His Love)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:09 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

The lady give her a motherly smile, patting her back. Once in the wagon, she sees everything one needs for living on the move. It reminded her of the house-wagons that traveled with a carnival. Each side was lined with cabinets and shelves, and a long bench stretched on the left. It was roomier than it looked outside, and there was even a bed in a tiny room at the far end, which would be the head of the wagon.

The lady indicated the bench as a place for Mira to put her things and produced a stack of warm blankets and a pillow from one of the closets near the bedroom. The colors were much more subdued here. A rich hickory stain balanced against lighter spruce. It was qauint and very cosy. The couple bid her goodnight, the woman kissing her cheek and the man giving her a paternal one-armed hug, patting her back comfortingly. The couple then retired to the bedroom and shut the narrow door part way. A glass shielded lamp attached to the wall was her only remaining illumination.

[Ooc: Was there anything else you wanted Mira to do before bed?]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:49 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Mira divulges herself of her weapons leaving the shortsword resting up against the bench, she places the pack on the bench and produces her nightshirt and spellbook.

Changing she leaves the knife at her side and sits crosslegged on the floor, keeping her focus she reads the words before her, she had no idea what might happen tomorrow, she needed to be prepared. Closing the book she places it in her pack and creates a plle of blankets.

Snuggling down as best she can she lowers her head onto her cloak which she was using as a pillow. "Go out, go out, its time for bed.. Go out." She sings a simple tune as a whisper, the lantern extinguishes at the end of the song.

With that she closes her eyes and tries her best to sleep, wherever she was, she could do nothing about it, tomorrow was afterall, a new day.

-----------

Mira memorizes: Detect magic, shield and web.
Casts a Cantrip to put out the light.

Shes ready for bed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:16 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Weariness and the comfort of shelter make for a heady combination, and she is soon fast asleep. The remainder of the night passes smoothly, though she has vivid dreams with bursts of bright colors. Bright red, lustrous gold and vibrant greens dance in her mind, and she feels she is in the waking world. Once her eyes open into the mid-morning, the images and experiences slip away like drops of rain racing down a pane of glass.

It is day, and the open door in the back of the wagon tells her that the couple has already awakened and departed. She sits up, scrubbing the sleep from her eyes and studies her spellbook.

[Mira accomplished quite a lot in the few hours since her performance in Palanthius. I’m going to roll over the experience earned to the next night, however, since this day should go fairly quickly. ]
[Mira spends 40 mins total re-preparing Shield and Web, having cast them both last night, and replacing Magic Missile with Detect Magic].

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:31 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Rising from the floor she pokes her head out of a nearby window, a new day in this strange place, what would this day bring? One thing her mother always said, "Never face the day without clean clothes." a thought she lived by.

Removing the nightshirt she hums a simple tune, the words in her head, "Clean the dirt, Clean my soul, clean the body, make me whole." grasping the tendlils of magic around her she brings her hands down her body, the Cantrip removing the days dirt. Pulling on a clean pair of grey trousers and a white shirt she fastens the bodice around her body and pulls on her boots, finally she buckles on her blade and pouch, then steps out into the day with a big stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Mira rises and readies herself for the day, freshening up with a quick cleaning cantrip. As she steps outside the wagon she notes that camp is already packed up, but there is a leisurely air of waiting. A covered tin plate of eggs, bread and sausage sits by the fire circle keeping warm. The horses are all brushed down and readied for the journey, and a rough trail barely wide enough for the wagons meanders through the ancient looking forest.

The old man indicates the food is for her, and as soon as she has breakfasted, he leads the wagons on down the path. The sun is resplendent, though the air is a bit chilly. Birds and small animals chirp and chitter, wheeling about in their antics. A fresh breeze stirs, and it seems impossible that anything could be foreboding in this beautiful place. As the short caravan moves on, Mira is called to the trailing wagon where the Raunie rides. She sits patiently in the doorway at the back, and answers some of Mira’s questions as well as offering things of her own. Mira takes turns walking and riding the low step when her legs tire.

No, the old woman would not speak much of the vision other than to say that those she would meet would find her somehow. That there was a place they were going where she would wait for them. She would know them when they came, as they would be like her; from afar. The danger she faced she must discover for herself, but she would be prepared. She spoke to her in both common and the musical language, guiding her bit by bit in its usage.

The gypsy spoke on, resting now and again, and told her of the country she now traveled. The land was called Kartakass, and the musical language they spoke was of this land. It was a beautiful place, full of song. Kartakass lay near other lands she had never heard of, Gundarak, Sithicus and more. The details were glossed over, but Mira came to understand what the old woman was saying. She was not only far from home… she was impossibly far. The only way back was to find this danger, this imbalance and restore it.

When the sun reached high overhead, the group broke out some travel fare; mostly hearty bread and dried fruit with some small pieces of jerky. It was hearty and well-seasoned; they ate as they traveled.
Now, girl. The well-worn lady said. I plan to rest a bit, soon. This bumpy trail is not kind to these old bones. Have you any last questions before tonight?

[Mira casts a cleaning cantrip on her clothes (need 12): 1d20=7. Pass. Mira's clothes are clean.
Mira regains 1 hp.]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:06 pm 
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

(The cleaning was on her, and shes wearing clean clothes, was trying to keep it PG).

"Questions? I have so many! I'm rather overwhelmed with everything." She sighs and drags her hands through her hair, she should wash that too. "I think you won't tell me what you saw because of how it will affect me, am I right?"

"Where I am from we believe in a balance, that good and evil need to exist together. It's the same here isnt it? All this beauty," she waves her hand around the forest, "And your people, they are so beautiful, so handsome" she pauses taking a seat on the wagon once more. "Yet there is evil, the creature that took the creatures that came with me, and this .... Thing I need to stop."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next

Advanced search