Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:07 am

Advanced search

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: CH. 11: The Show Must Go On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:45 am 
Emperor
Emperor

[Ooc: dangit... I have the unsettling feeling that I know what he's going to say...]

Grubnick perks up at the news, Really? That's great! See! I knew some opportunity would present itself. He cannot keep the mischievous grin from his face; a potentially disturbing sight to anyone but Delarn considering the plethora of scars... Don't hold me in suspense too long, you know I can't take it when you've some plot brewing. What's the target?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:21 am 
Lord
Lord

Ne-Chanz pays for his room. "Let's go." he says to Shima. "If we blindfold Grubnick until we get underground, the lady shouldn't be mad at us." Assuming Shima responds in the affirmative, they head to the place Grubnick mentioned.
(Where are all of the weapons permits?)

WotL:Ne-Chanz, Minotaur Fighter- Casual Murder
Demiplane:Cal Lightfoot, Gnome Thief/Illusionist (Improv Kit)- Chilling
AD:LitC: Jacen Terro, Half-Elf fighter- HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:23 am 
Viscount
Viscount

While answering Tulbas already runs quickly to the kitchen to prepare something quickly. He takes few vegetables and fruits, boil the water for a tea and serves the crude breakfast to Magnus. "I've promised to help a friend with some project. Promises should be kept." Tulbas says trying to play on Magnus inclination to respect the laws, even unwritten ones. "I can use it as opportunity to practice my spells. Anyway I'll be back in an hour at most. Is it OK Master?"

====================================================================
(OOC: I have the feeling Grubnick will meet at least one of his friends at the area of the target... And even two if I can make Magnus give leave to Tulbas to have a couple of hours off about mid-day or early evening.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:33 am 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Haahqae (Masked Dragon Inn, Common Room)
After paying six silver, both to keep his room and buy some breakfast, Haahqae departs quietly and heads for the Masked Dragon. He had not been here since he last visited Ismene, as she and Miriam both stay here these days.

It's about Second Watch by the time he arrives, so he still has plenty of time before his performance. There used to be a pair of bouncers that would stand guard at the entrance to the inn's courtyard, but Haahqae finds nobody there to stop him this time. He remembers Zoya, one of those bouncers, mentioned she lost her job the other day. It seems the Dragon is suffering from layoffs, as well.

The courtyard is walled off and within it are a number of tables and chairs where people can eat and drink outside, if they like. As it's a dismally grey day and fairly cold out, nobody is currently out here.

Stepping inside, he finds the common area is spacious and clean. Breakfast is currently being served. A single minstrel plays music for the patrons. There used to be a whole band of them, but they are now down to just the one, it seems. He spots Ismene and Miriam at a table, having breakfast together and speaking softly.

The innkeeper works the bar, and there are a handful of other patrons having breakfast, as well. Right behind Haahqae, a trio of baaz stomp in, sit down at a table near the hearth and pound on the table, demanding drinks. The innkeeper quickly dispatches a serving wench to them.

Kendra Synclair (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems)
Sadron manages to pull himself up into a sitting position. "You don't need to worry about me. I feel a little stronger today. I probably shouldn't fight off a horde of soldiers today, but I think I can manage to make it downstairs and find some food." He looks out the window. "Work...I can't believe you can stand working for that monster. It must be hard to not stab him in the neck every time he turns his back on you. I'm not sure I could restrain myself, in your shoes."

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware shop)
The two sit down to eat after Tulbas finishes cooking something up. "What friend? What project?" Magnus asks, suspicious of the elf's lack of details. "Why haven't I heard anything about this until now?"

After a moment's thought, he adds, "The only friends you have are those adventuring types. This isn't another one of those, is it? Damn it, child, I swear to the moons that if you get yourself captured again, I am not bailing you out this time." Tulbas wasn't sure Magnus was ever going to let that one go.

Arulia Seroth (323 Three Forks, Seroth residence)
Vera sighs a bit. She seems to realize that the loss of a handful of copper probably won't make any difference either way at this point, as she nods and then busies herself with cleaning up after breakfast. "Have a good time then. And Cassilda, make sure you aren't late. You need to be at work by Fourth Watch."

"I know," Cassilda says, unconsciously rubbing at her bandaged arm. "Una doesn't like it when I'm late. Don't worry, this won't take long."

Grubnick (Haven Arms, Delharn's Room)
Delharn grins and says, "I found out that today, late this afternoon, some asshole is going to put on a show for the dragonmen in the marketsquare. Just for them, mind you. So no civilians around to burden your conscience," he adds, a tad patronizingly. "It's the perfect spot. A whole mess of soldiers, all concentrated in one place, but much easier to get to than say, the barracks or the noble district. We unleash Sirrion's Gift, then just sit back and watch as the army burns." He chuckles.

Felran, Ne-Chanz and Shima (Haven Arms Inn, Common Room)
The minotaur pays Green Tears eight silver pieces. Then, he, Felran and Shima head to the Haven Arms. It's a simple inn, about on par with the High Hand in quality. The smell of boiled potatoes, eggs and bacon fill the room, as it is currently breakfast time.

There are a handful of patrons here, all eating breakfast. The innkeeper tends the bar. Shortly after they arrive, four baaz show up and have a seat at a table. They demand free drinks, and a server quickly brings them a tray of mugs before things escalate to violence.

(OOC: The only PC who has a weapon permit is Kendra right now.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:34 pm 
Viscount
Viscount

"Well, we only discussed it yesterday. Haaque, is going to perform in front of the Red Army soldiers. I promised to give him a hand. Maybe even a spectral hand..." Tulbas says his eyes glittering for a moment. But it quickly turns off. Such word games were favorite in his discussions with Raetmal, and now he speaks with his murderer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:39 pm 
Knight
Knight

Haahqae’s trip to the Masked Dragon is one of inner turmoil, periodically interrupted only by the boring process of passing through checkpoints. He’s worried about the possibility of confronting Ismene after how she looked when they last met. What if she’s still mad? What if he says something wrong that makes it much, much worse? But, he can’t make things better if he doesn’t at least try to talk to her sometimes. She deserves to know a little about him, she’s never seen him juggle. Or maybe she has, but she’s never seen him do an actual, challenging, practiced performance. Surely when she sees how awesome she is at this it will help to calm her anger? Or maybe he should just call off this plan, return to the tankard or find somewhere else to bathe, then go meet her when he’s earned some money to pay her back from helping him with rescuing Tulbas. Tulbas, wrenched inattentive half elf as he is, did think that Haahqae had a chance to make Ismene not as mad if he went to talk to her even without having money to repay her for her help, so if he comes with gifts it would only be better right? But if he talked to her about all the history he’s learned, maybe she’d be impressed by his knowledge.

And thus Haahqae walks and thinks, building up confidence in himself that, once he’s made himself presentable, the encounter with Ismene might not be all that bad. All this confidence immediately drains from him as he spies her in the common room, talking to Miriam.

If he goes to speak to her now she’ll surely think of him as an unwashed pig, uncivilized and a disappointment. Especially after the last time they were together she was angry that he had let Belzor escaped, and the time before that she was robbed from, and the time before idiots had betrayed the group and tried to kill them. Ismene must think of him an incompetent, unwashed fool. What chance would he possible have with someone like her? Someone powerful enough to have passed the test and earned her robes? Even Tulbas hasn’t managed to do that.

If he doesn’t go speak to her now she’ll finish breakfast then leave on whatever task she’s planning on doing today, and Haahqae will have no way to find out where that is. She’s not going to leave a note in her room, the Innkeeper will be no help. She’ll be gone and Haahqae doesn’t have time to go searching the city for even someone as pretty as Ismene since he’s got a performance today that he has to attend.

Then as Haahqae hesitates, three baaz brush past him, demanding drinks. Haahqae could do a performance! Then Ismene would know he’s doing a concert and he wouldn’t have to get close to her while he smelled like a dead wet sewer rat that’s been bathing in skunk stink. But, there’s already a performer here…. It might take a little silver to buy some floor time for an advertisement.

With such thoughts Haahqae goes up to the innkeeper and asks for permission to do a performance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:55 pm 
King
King

On the way to the Haven Arms Inn Shima asks his companions, "Remind me why we're going to this place?" Then scratches him buttocks, adding, "I do need a wash. And I need to find out which bugger stole my weapons and Gregeddin too."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:43 pm 
Duke
Duke

"It is," Kendra admits. "But I know that isn't going to accomplish anything other than getting myself killed." Kendra sighs as she sits down on the edge of the bed next to Sadron. "And he would most likely be replaced with someone that could be worse than him. Though, if I can earn his trust, I might be able to start persuading him a little. Right now, I really can't push my luck."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:50 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Grubnick lets out a low whistle, That does sound promising... he gives Delarn a mirthless smirk for his tone, however. That would certainly put a significant dent in their local forces... his mind shifted pieces around on an imaginary Khas board, taking pawns was productive, but clearing the more powerful pieces was what often spelled victory. Where exactly is this performance being held, and what time? I suppose if they're off duty they might not even be armed... It was a difficult choice... a play could be made for either side, and he couldn't tell if either had a much greater chance for success. Think about this, though. If such a huge number of soldiers are concentrated there, that means there are likely far less elsewhere guarding more valuable things... What about the prefect's mansion? It's on the edge of the noble district. In Khas it's all about capturing the King, right? Not just eliminating pawns... Or cutting the head off the snake if you prefer... I like your idea, I think we should just consider the other options as well. He itches idly at his wide facial scar beneath the long leather cap. I just wish we knew exactly what to expect from this scroll... I don't suppose you have any better idea about what it might summon, do you? From Sirrion I guess I'm half-expecting a being of pure flame...

[Ooc: let me know if I'm pushing what Grubnick knows too far. I figure the Rose Hall (Prefect's mansion?) is just inside the gate to the noble district and it's location would be common local knowledge. Besides,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:41 am 
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

"You should come along, too, Mother. But if you don't want to, I'll make sure that Cassilda is on time for work," Arulia says. "And I'll have Niniva and Camilla back home before long, too, unless you have errands for them to run."

(OOC: Assuming there's no further protest:)
Arulia and her sisters bundle up against the cold morning and hurry over to the Seven Centaurs. Once there, she tracks down the innkeeper and retrieves her purse. "We'd like to use the baths, please."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:05 am 
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Haahqae (Masked Dragon Inn, Common Room)
The innkeeper is a rather snooty looking middle-aged man with one of those elaborate mustaches that are popular in Solamnia. He looks down at the gnome and raises a handkerchief to his nose, as if he had suddenly come across a foul odor. "You...wish to perform here? We have a very...refined clientele and only accept the best. What are your credentials, who can vouch for you, and what manner of instrument do you play?"

Kendra Synclair (2527 Market Street, Greylock's Gorgeous Gems)
"Just stay safe," Sadron says, placing his hand on hers gently. "My being here puts you in danger as it is. I'd hate to see anything happen to you." He looks at her fondly. It was the look he used to give her, back when they were together. Even after all of this time, he hasn't changed even one bit in either appearance or manner.

Tulbas Erogund (Mageware shop)
Magnus scowls. "Are you serious? Is this how you intend to use the Art? On parlor tricks? Is that what you think magic is for, to earn applause from slack-jawed yokels who are impressed by bright lights and loud sound?" He sighs in frustration and shakes his head. "Did that uncle of yours teach you nothing of respect for the Art? Our power is a gift from the three moon gods. But it is more than just power, it is a massive responsibility. That is why we have the Test. That is why we cull those who are too weak to carry that burden. Magic is not a toy, you idiot child."

He finishes his food and stands up. "Perhaps you are not worthy to be a true magus. Maybe you are better suited to the life of a dabbler, and are not meant for true power. But if that is the case, I have no need for you as an apprentice. I can just turn you over to the army if you prefer. Well then, what is your decision?"

Arulia Seroth (Seven Centaurs, Common Room)
Arulia and her three younger sisters depart, heading for the Seven Centaurs--one of the nicer inns in the city. Once inside the common room, all of the young women start rubbernecking, having never seen such finery in their whole lives. The common room alone was larger than their entire house. The floors were made of polished oak and covered in beautiful and colorful rugs to keep the place warm.

On one of the walls is a gorgeous mural of seven centaurs frolicking in a field. Arulia had never seen a centaur before, so couldn't vouch for how authentic the mural looked; but it sure fit with how she assumed centaurs looked. There are rumors that say there are centaurs in Darken Wood, but as nobody has ever returned from there alive, one wonders where these rumors came from.

The massive stone hearth blazes with warmth that fills the whole room. Their eyes all water when they step in from the cold, due to the drastic change in temperature.

"This was one of the first places I tried to get a job at," Niniva admits. "It's so nice here. I wouldn't mind serving ale if it was in a place like this."

The whole place smells strongly of breakfast. A handful of patrons are sitting at tables (with tablecloths and everything!) eating and talking. A minstrel plays soothing music on a small stage. There are also no goblins or draconians present. However, Arulia does spot a couple of human soldiers in uniform sitting together at one of the tables.

The innkeeper is a refined looking woman in a green gown that probably could feed her whole family for a month if sold. "All of you?" she asks, glancing to each of the four women in turn. "One moment." She consults a heavy, open book. "Individual bathing rooms are three coppers each, but there are only two available right now. I can have two of you sent up while the other two wait, but I cannot say how long you'd have to wait before another one opens up. On the other hand, I can put you all in one of the larger, communal bathing rooms for only a silver piece. If you don't mind sharing, that is."

Grubnick (Haven Arms, Delharn's Room)
"It'll be in the market square, at Tenth Watch," Delharn answers. "I overheard some of the dragonmen talking about it last night."

The dwarf adds, "The range on this scroll is limited, and I can't summon anything in a place I can't see. We'd never get around that wall, not without getting caught, anyway. Besides, we wouldn't know for sure if the prefect was even in the mansion at the time."

He takes the scroll from his pack and looks it over. "I wish I knew. I hope it's something big. I think it must be, considering how complicated it is. I imagine if it were just a fire snake or something, it'd be pretty simple. But that comes with the territory of following a fickle god of flame and passion, eh? Never know what's going to happen until it does happen."

Felran, Ne-Chanz and Shima (Haven Arms Inn, Common Room)
While the three mill around in the common area, a barmaid approaches them. "Is there something I can get you fellas?" she asks, eying Ne-Chanz in particular with a bit of wariness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:34 pm 
Viscount
Viscount

Tulbas listens carefully and doesn't get offended at all. "Of course I respect the Art. Raetmal had teach me to see magic even in the mundane things such a blossom or the green of the woods. What you call common tricks or toys are much more in the way I see it. First, it stretches your mind. Second, it increases the moral of the observers, make the children laugh which is magical by itself. Third, magic is a set of tools. As in tools, you ned to be responsible and careful with it. And as in tools, there is a place for each tool, even the simple tools are important and in some cases irreplaceable. Anyway, that's what Raetmal had told me." his eyes are a little bit dreamy as he recalls his chats with Raetmal. Then he continues, "But I'm devoted apprentice and eager to increase my abilities with the Craft and like you said yesterday, I choose life. Therefore if you disapprove, I'll stay here and practice all day. Master." He says without any trace of sarcasm or grudge in his tone.

=========================================================================
(OOC: If you keep calling Tulbas Half-Elf I'll keep calling Haaque a kender. ;))

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 pm 
King
King

"It's not what we're actually here for, but do you have a bath? Or I'd even settle for a couple of buckets of water," answers the still-gelatinised dwarf.

Last edited by Chris1234 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:06 pm 
Knight
Knight

Haahqae wasn’t expecting resistance here, besides that which cash was the ready answer, but it appeared this man had a little bit of snob in him that had to be appeased. Besides, that’s an impressive mustache. Fortunately, Haahqae is overqualified for this job, especially in the current state of the inn, so he rattles off his response readily.

“You only accept the best? I should fit right in then. I’m a juggler, not a musician, however I’ve been honing my art across countless villages, towns and cities across the continent. My skill speaks for itself. If, for whatever reason you need someone to vouch for me, Cassandra at the Steel Tankard has seen me perform multiple times. However what I want to do today is merely an advertisement for my show. The show will be a real spectacle in the market square at tenth watch today. If you need any convincing about my skills you can see them first hand for a very modest fee then. What I plan for now is just a quick preview of what will happen then. I am, of course, willing to pay for the inconvenience to your current performer.” As much as it pains him, Haahqae offers the man a steel piece. He needs the money, but sometimes you need to spend a little to impress a gnome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:33 pm 
Duke
Duke

Kendra feels her heart flutter under his fond gaze, and realizes that she is in a lot of trouble. "Don't worry," she says, giving his hand a squeeze. "Just concentrate on getting well." She stands from where she was sitting. "So, I'll get breakfast started, and then go to work." She walks downstairs to start breakfast for the both of them, eats, then gets ready for work, and leaves.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next

Advanced search