Main Forum Index Register to Login Login to the Forum
Your #1 Source for Dungeons and Dragons
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:45 am

Advanced search




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:44 am 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11390
Location:
Washington, USA
Haahqae (Mageware shop)
After returning to the Steel Tankard last night, Haahqae went up to his room and read through the rest of that book on Takhisis he borrowed. Then he went to bed.

He wakes up at Morning Watch, shivering. The temperature dropped 10 degrees since yesterday, and his window is frosted over. And since his window isn't properly insulated, lots of that cold air has been let inside. His sprained leg feels a little better today, but is still pretty sore.

He takes a few moments to warm up, then memorizes his spells for the day. He then gathers up his things, including his weapons, as he has the forged permit. He heads downstairs for some breakfast. The innkeeper speaks with him, wanting to talk more about that 'deal' he mentioned back at the guildhall when he gets the chance. The innkeeper is distressed because after yesterday, now numerous draconians are bullying him into giving them free drinks (the good stuff, too) and he's going bankrupt at this point even without the big tax hike.

Haahqae then heads to the mageware shop to meet up with the others, bundled up in his new jacket. The draconians hassle him at the sight of his bow and arrows, but let him pass after seeing the forged permit. When he arrives at the mageware shop, he finds Gregeddin is already there with Magnus. "Ah, here he is," Gregeddin says. "Haahqae, when did you last see Tulbas last night?"

"He never returned home," Magnus says, frowning slightly.

(OOC: Haahqae regains 1 HP. He memorizes Detect Magic, Magical Aura and Change Self.)

Kendra Greylock (2527 Market Street, Gorgeous Greylock's Gems)
Kendra awakens that morning having been plagued most of the night with torrid dreams of Sadron. Norris, oblivious to anything amiss, makes them breakfast and they eat in relative silence.

While Norris prepares the shop to open, Arulia arrives to change Kendra's bandages. The two head upstairs for privacy, but also so they can talk without Norris eavesdropping.

(OOC: Kendra regains 1 HP.)

Gregeddin (Mageware shop)
Gregeddin wakes up in his own house after a good night's sleep. He chooses his new spells for the day (if applicable) and heads out to meet up with the others at the mageware shop. His fine cloak helps protect him a bit from the cold, but if the temperature drops any further, he'll need to invest in some warmer clothing. He takes his weapons with him, as he has a forged permit. He is stopped at the checkpoints and interrogated about carrying a weapon. When he shows the forged document, the draconians begin speaking quietly to each other in their own language. One of them is sent off on some errand, but they nevertheless let him pass. It looked like the draconian was heading in the direction of the temple...

Once Gregeddin arrives at the mageware shop, he is quickly told by Magnus that Tulbas never returned last night. "I had left him in your care," he points out. "If anything happened to him, I will hold you responsible. Now what do you intend to do about it?" A moment later, Haahqae arrives.

Tulbas (Unknown location)
Tulbas comes to in the bottom bunk of a bunkbed. He is lying flat on his back and right away he notices that his wrists and ankles have been tied to the bed's posts, preventing him from getting up or even moving around much. His clothing (save his smallclothes) and personal possessions are missing and he feels that his chest wound has been bandaged.

Looking around, he sees he is some kind of barracks. There are bunkbeds from one end of the room to the other. Next to each bed is a small chest. There are no windows; Tulbas has no way of knowing what time it is or how long he was out. He is bundled up with plenty of blankets to keep warm, though.

To his left are two people lying in the nearest bunkbed; one on top and one on bottom. Both are covered in terrible burns and are also bandaged up. They appear human...but both have some snake like features. One has some scaling on his arms and legs and the other has fangs protruding from her mouth. The other beds are empty. There is a door to the south, but it is closed.

(OOC: Tulbas regains 1 HP.)

Arulia Seroth (2527 Market Street, Gorgeous Greylock's Gems)
Arulia wakes up that morning feeling a warmth and sense of peace she has not ever known. With the knowledge she was given, she immediately pulls out the icon she was given and prays for her spells for today for the first time ever.

She finds that her family has already gone to work for the day, so eats some breakfast and heads off to meet up with Kendra. The two go upstairs to change Kendra's bandages and check her wounds, but also to talk in private so Norris can't overhear.

(OOC: Let me know what spells Arulia picks.)

Grubnick (High Hand Inn)
Grubnick wakes up that morning early in his own room. His conversation with Harrin went fairly well, until he mentioned the old gods. The minstrel seemed rather cynical, and seemed to think Grubnick was trying to proselytize. Still, he had made an effort. Now it was a brand new day and he was no longer bound by the curfew. Perhaps he could find more answers within the city itself. First, he decides to pray for his new spells before heading down.

(OOC: Let me know what spells Grubnick picks.)

===========

It is now Autumn Harvest 29, Morning Watch. It is 20 F degrees outside.


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:00 pm 
Offline
Emperor
Emperor
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 pm
Posts: 8568
Location:
somewhere in the aether
Grubnick prays silently the moment he awakes; Sirrion, guide my steps today to be your flame among the dead and rotting wood here in order to clear the way for new growth and understanding.
(ooc: Grubnick will pray for Detect Magic, Magical Stone and Flame blade to replace Detect Evil, Sanctuary and Cure Moderate Wounds respectively)

Once that is done, Grubnick heads downstairs to the bar for breakfast. He assesses the state of the common room and positions himself to sit at the bar and speak with Green Tears; with some privacy if possible. Some juice and breakfast, please. When she returns he adds, Sorry about the sudden fire-stunt last night. I probably should have asked before I started spitting fire everywhere.

He waits for her response/reaction before going on, I appreciate your warning last night. I was a little worried they were going to come after me, though I realize I kind of put myself in harm’s way. I just didn’t want anything bad to happen here, I really like this place, he says with a big grin. I know you aren’t really the talkative type, but do you mind telling me something? he asks as diplomatically as he can. What caused you to come to the city and open this inn?

_________________
Demiplane of Dread: DM. PCs heading into the wild in search of The Crown. Act 2, Scene 2
Genwald: DM. PCs raiding the Wetrock Goblin tribe. Act 1, Scene 3
Puzzle Dungeon: [Tomb of Horrors] DM. Character Creation final stages
WotL: Grubnick Goblin Cleric of Sirrion. Lookin to kill a Prefect
Borderlands: Ari. Dwarven Cleric of Vulcan. Killin zombies
Waterdeep 5.0: Nix. Tiefling Warkock of Nicniven. Down a famous well, lookin for loot


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm 
Offline
Duke
Duke
User avatar

Joined:
Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:36 pm
Posts: 5159
Location:
Washington
"I'm in trouble," Kendra says softly to Aurlia. "Sadron came to visit me last night."


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:22 am 
Offline
Viscount
Viscount
User avatar

Joined:
Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 pm
Posts: 2937
The moment Tulbas realizes he is bound, he closes his eyes and opens only slits. He explores around and if must move he try to keep it to a minimum as if moving in his sleep. 'Well... it seems I have found the Belzorites after all...' he thinks to himself. 'Outch! That wound! It's hurts so much!' but even with the aches he keeps quiet.
'This is a big mess I got myself into... I thought my Burning Hands spell will kill at least one or two of them and then I'd have managed.' He looks at the two burned people in the bed next to him, 'Well... It seems my plan almost worked. But almost is not good enough and now I'm helpless.' Tulbas tries to feel with his fingers if his ring is still on. 'I hope they didn't take it. My only heirloom. The last thing connecting me to my family.' he thinks, his feelings change between hope and despair.
He tries to check if he is still paralyzed or that the effect wear off completely, and afterwards waits to see what will happen next.

========================================================
(OOC: I think this is the first time ever Tulbas got hurt by a weapon)


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:50 am 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11390
Location:
Washington, USA
Tulbas Erogund (Unknown location)
To his relief, Tulbas finds that his ring is still on. Perhaps his captors didn't realize it was magical or they simply decided it wasn't a threat. Tulbas finds that the paralysis has worn off, but his movement is still limited due to being tied up.

The door opens and a woman steps inside, carrying a tray of food. As Tulbas is pretending to sleep, she doesn't pay him any mind for now. She sets the tray down and begins to examine the burned cultists, checking their bandages and such.

Grubnick (High Hand Inn, Common room)
Having finished his morning prayers, Grubnick descends to the common room and looks around. There are 9 people (8 humans and 1 dwarf), 3 draconians (baaz) and one server (human), plus Green Tears at the bar. Grubnick does not see Harrin or the mage among any of them.

Green Tears brings Grubnick a plate of fried eggs, bacon and a glass of orange juice. He then pays her a silver piece.

Grubnick wrote:
"Sorry about the sudden fire-stunt last night. I probably should have asked before I started spitting fire everywhere."

She nods. "You helped keep the peace, so I do not mind." She casts a glance over at the three draconians in the corner. "It is likely only a matter of time before things get to the point that a simple show will not help any."

Grubnick wrote:
"What caused you to come to the city and open this inn?"

"Everyone asks that question, but I do not like speaking of it," she admits. "It was a very long time ago. And it matters not. My people have been slaughtered, or so they say. I may well be the last of my kind."

(OOC: Grubnick pays 1 silver piece for breakfast.)


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:01 pm 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am
Posts: 1570
Location:
Toronto
"I haven't seen Tulbas since last night, when we split up to go home. Ohmygod, maybe he got eaten by zombies, he did say he was going to the graveyard at nighttime. Nooo! Tulbas! You'll be remembered for all the fond times we had together, like there was that one time when we were backed up against the wall, angry cultists attempting to kill us and he valiantly teleported away, or there was that time in the mine, when we were surrounded by demons.." Haahqae, it appears, finally runs out of breath from one too many run on sentences, and takes a second to breath before continuing. "The least we can do is recover his body, if there's anything left of it, and finish his task of uncovering the Belzorites."

_________________
Veni Vidi Vici


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:29 pm 
Offline
Emperor
Emperor
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 pm
Posts: 8568
Location:
somewhere in the aether
JadedDM wrote:
"You helped keep the peace, so I do not mind." She casts a glance over at the three draconians in the corner. "It is likely only a matter of time before things get to the point that a simple show will not help any."


I'm afraid you are right... perhaps there are some precautions that could be taken, but I cannot see what at the moment... If I come up with something, I'll let you know. He idly rubs the long scar at his temple, something needs to be done about them...

jadeddm wrote:
My people have been slaughtered, or so they say. I may well be the last of my kind."


Grubnick shakes his head, sadly. So much tragedy and injustice inflicted by one group... and they plan still more... he says quietly. I'm still new to the city, what groups might be willing to work against them? Or anyone willing to provide information about them?

I doubt any one group is strong enough to do much, but if several forces can work against them perhaps something can ge accomplished... even without each group working together intentionally... and I already have some ideas for disrupting their forces from within...

He waits for her reply, and finishes his meal deep in thought.

_________________
Demiplane of Dread: DM. PCs heading into the wild in search of The Crown. Act 2, Scene 2
Genwald: DM. PCs raiding the Wetrock Goblin tribe. Act 1, Scene 3
Puzzle Dungeon: [Tomb of Horrors] DM. Character Creation final stages
WotL: Grubnick Goblin Cleric of Sirrion. Lookin to kill a Prefect
Borderlands: Ari. Dwarven Cleric of Vulcan. Killin zombies
Waterdeep 5.0: Nix. Tiefling Warkock of Nicniven. Down a famous well, lookin for loot


Last edited by TristenC on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:21 pm 
Offline
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
User avatar

Joined:
Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am
Posts: 861
Location:
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Arulia wakes at peace for the first time in days. Ever since she had had that first dream of the Dragon Queen, she had felt fear gnawing at her. Sometimes it had been strong--when the army had invaded just as she'd seen or when Toom had died--whereas other times she'd barely noticed it was there. But now, she realizes that it had always been there, strong or weak...because now, she feels no fear, only hope. Knowing that Fizban...Paladine is listening, she thanks him for this gift.

(OOC: Arulia chooses command, cure light wounds, and protection from evil as her spells for the day.)

Arulia leaves her house and hurries to Kendra's, moving quickly to minimize the chance of being harrassed by a patrol. Once inside, she bids Norris a good day and follows Kendra upstairs. Her hands freeze mid-bandaging at Kendra's words, but she recovers quickly and finishes her work. "Oh, Kendra," she says, "what happened?"


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:05 pm 
Offline
Duke
Duke
User avatar

Joined:
Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:36 pm
Posts: 5159
Location:
Washington
"He came here thinking that we could pick up where we left off," Kendra explains with a sad sigh. "And I would love to. I wanted to, but I couldn't."


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:30 am 
Offline
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 11390
Location:
Washington, USA
Haahqae and Gregeddin (Mageware shop)
Magnus raises a brow at the gnome. "He went to the graveyard at night? Why would he do something that abysmally foolish? I swear, it's a wonder that someone with so much talent and intelligence can act in such a stupid fashion. He'll never survive his Test as long as he clings to that elven sentimentality of his." He frowns. "Assuming he is not already dead. You two need to find him. If he is dead, we can have the clerics interrogate his spirit and find out what happened, at least."

Grubnick (High Hand Inn, Common room)
"You should be careful speaking of such things," Green Tears warns. "They say the army has spies everywhere, as does the temple." She shakes her head with doubt. "Even so, it seems hopeless. Even if you had an army of your own to fight theirs, they have a true god on their side, as well as dragons." She frowns and looks downcast. "Even if you did somehow liberate the city, the army occupies all of Abanasinia, save Qualinesti. We would be surrounded. And rumors say that they have taken most of Ansalon, as well."


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 am 
Offline
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
User avatar

Joined:
Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am
Posts: 861
Location:
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Arulia takes Kendra's hands in her own. "You love him still, don't you? And you don't love Norris?" Unsure how to continue, she bites her lip for a moment. "You don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to," she begins, "but why did you leave Sadron in the first place?"


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm 
Offline
Emperor
Emperor
User avatar

Joined:
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 pm
Posts: 8568
Location:
somewhere in the aether
JadedDM wrote:
Even if you had an army of your own to fight theirs, they have a true god on their side, as well as dragons."


Using part of their own army against another would be far more fruitful if possible... And any other force seeking to resist them, even in small ways, will help if they can be convinced they can get away with it. As for the old gods, there are many... he unobtrusively fishes out his holy symbol for an instant where only she can see before returning it beneath his shirt.

And very few of them would condone what is being done here. And I'm certain there is more than one... representative... in the city working towards a similar end, he gives her meaningful look.

jadeddm wrote:
"Even if you did somehow liberate the city, the army occupies all of Abanasinia, save Qualinesti. We would be surrounded. And rumors say that they have taken most of Ansalon, as well."


Grubnick rubs his scar again, Quinaliest... yes... Khas pieces moving silently in his mind. Perhaps there is something there... he muses.

The spread of their forces does provide some difficulty. Rot can grow quickly, but it is weak at the core. Taking the city back fully won't be possible until things improve elsewhere, but something must be done to provide for the survival of those here... this force cares nothing for this city. They will bleed it dry and move on.

Agents of the true gods are here. Hope is alive. If you have need, you can call on them.
He watches her for moment longer. You may call on me, as well.

He waits for any reply or questions. Afterwards he heads to the market, leaving his belt knife upstairs with his other weapons (but keeping his sling stones and the flask and rags from the night before.)

He will begin by looking for a place with leather caps. As he passes checkpoints he will note the behavior, number and type of draconians; specifically looking to see if there are different types together and how they treat each other.

_________________
Demiplane of Dread: DM. PCs heading into the wild in search of The Crown. Act 2, Scene 2
Genwald: DM. PCs raiding the Wetrock Goblin tribe. Act 1, Scene 3
Puzzle Dungeon: [Tomb of Horrors] DM. Character Creation final stages
WotL: Grubnick Goblin Cleric of Sirrion. Lookin to kill a Prefect
Borderlands: Ari. Dwarven Cleric of Vulcan. Killin zombies
Waterdeep 5.0: Nix. Tiefling Warkock of Nicniven. Down a famous well, lookin for loot


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:35 pm 
Offline
Viscount
Viscount
User avatar

Joined:
Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 pm
Posts: 2937
Tulbas considers his situation. He thinks of ways out, but then, even if he manages to get out of the ropes he is probably in the middle of the Belzorites temple whose location was hidden for so long time both from the Seekers and now the Red army... He also couldn't pretend to sleep forever. Eventually they will come to interrogate him or worse. So why delay it? But then, didn't they speak of some alteration he is candidate to. Looking at the others around they would probably try to turn him to some kind of reptile elven mixture. Just considering this option seems like a good reason to delay it as long as possible.

Tulbas waits for the woman to finish her treatment. When she leaves he looks around for items he might use to cut the ropes binding him. He also tries to figure out if he can use Cantrips to loosen the ties, going over all the puzzles Raetmal gave him when they practiced the Art together.

=======================================================================
(OOC: Is it possible for Tulbas to either use Cantrip to make some item that can cut the ropes fall or move some what just to get into his reach, or could he make some miniature particles appear between the threads creating the ropes and that way dismantle them? Or can he use cantrip to loosen the ties?)


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:26 pm 
Offline
Duke
Duke
User avatar

Joined:
Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:36 pm
Posts: 5159
Location:
Washington
Kendra looks down at Arulia's hands for a second before she sighs. "My family," she says. "It was either him or them, and I was sixteen years old. They are the ones that introduced me to Norris, actually. They knew that he had enough money to take care of himself, me, and the family, and I knew what they were doing. Since it was my family, I went along with it. He loves me to death which I don't quite understand, but I don't love him."


Top
  Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: CH. 7: The Viper's Nest
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:16 am 
Offline
Guildmaster
Guildmaster
User avatar

Joined:
Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am
Posts: 861
Location:
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Arulia shakes her head, but squeezes Kendra's hands in reassurance. "I am so sorry, Kendra," she says. "I think you need to tell him. It's not fair to anyone, least of all you, to continue like this." She frowns for a moment to think. "If you need a place to stay, I'm sure that we could make room at my family's place. And we'll find a way to take care of your family, somehow..."


Top
  Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Advanced search


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group