Lurkers must sign up now to visit our additional forums. Please register today and enjoy our endless banter. Instant access as of March 2019!

42nd Anniversary of the term Jump the Shark

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Cole, Stik

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

42nd Anniversary of the term Jump the Shark

Post#1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Just a quick post to commemorate the birthday genesis of the term 'Jump the shark' or jumping the shark. It was on this evening forty-two years ago that the infamous episode of Happy Days aired (actually titled 'Hollywood: Part Three'), where Fonzarelli accepts a dare to jump on water skis over a pen containing a shark.
I can actually understand the thinking behind the absurd plot that is remembered to this day and birthed an unflattering reference phrase. Mega-hit movie 'Jaws' had only been released a little over two years earlier. The writers just tried to jump on that train.
However, I saw this as it aired as a young lad and even I, who like tens of thousands of other young boys was infatuated with the Fonz character, thought it was ridiculous.
I know some of you could describe some of the later editions of D&D produced by WOTC as having jumped the shark.
_Matt_

Lukafio
Freeman
Freeman

Re: 42nd Anniversary of the term Jump the Shark

Post#2 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:17 am

I too recall that episode from my younger years, and had purged it from memory until just now. Can I send you my therapist's bill? :P
:mage "Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

JadedDM
Merchant
Merchant

Post#3 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Fun Fact: The opposite of 'jumping the shark' (the specific point where a show's decline in quality can be easily observed as having started) is 'growing the beard' (the specific point when a show's increase in quality can be easily observed as having started). It comes from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and references when Riker grew his beard for season 2.

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post#4 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:34 pm

Lukafio wrote:I too recall that episode from my younger years, and had purged it from memory until just now. Can I send you my therapist's bill?

:D

JadedDM wrote:Fun Fact: The opposite of 'jumping the shark' (the specific point where a show's decline in quality can be easily observed as having started) is 'growing the beard' (the specific point when a show's increase in quality can be easily observed as having started). It comes from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and references when Riker grew his beard for season 2.

8O
Thanks for the input Sir Jaded. I did not know that, but am glad I do now :up:
_Matt_