Lurkers must sign up now to visit our additional forums. Please register today and enjoy our endless banter. Instant access as of March 2019!

ADND in the new.. POSITIVE that is!!

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Cole, Stik

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

ADND in the new.. POSITIVE that is!!

Post#1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Saw this over on dragonsfoot and MAN did i love reading the article..

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... nd-dragons

Brought a tear to my eye...

JadedDM
Merchant
Merchant

Re: ADND in the new.. POSITIVE that is!!

Post#2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

It makes sense, though. The kids who played D&D are now grown up. So it's not seen as a 'kid's game' anymore. The newer generations are less religious (broadly speaking), so the whole 'Satanic scare' is no longer an issue. "Nerd" stuff in general has become more mainstream. And 5E is very welcoming and easy for newcomers to learn, thus bringing in tons of new people into the hobby.

We really are at kind of a new renaissance for the franchise.

JadedDM
Merchant
Merchant

Post#3 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 am

I was in Target today, and while passing through the toys section, I saw the starter kit for 5E D&D.

In Target! I've never seen a big retail store carry D&D products before (aside from bookstores).

The hobby really has become mainstream.

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post#4 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Not to be the party-pooper, but I don't think becoming mainstream is a good thing. Any time you take a generally niche market and try to make it "mainstream", we get what we see with 3E/4E/5E, comics, etc. A watering/dumbing down. Catering to the masses by default means dumbing it down.

JadedDM
Merchant
Merchant

Post#5 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:42 pm

I, for one, am glad that kids today can openly play D&D without being shunned, bullied or treated like losers for it.

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post#6 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 pm

In my day, no one I know was shunned, bullied, or treated like losers for it. In any case, none of that impacts the fact that when you try to appeal to the larger masses, you have to, by default, water/dumb down the thing you're marketing.

:lol: You know, reading your post again, it sounds as if you're implying that in your neck of the woods you had to hide your identity and meet in secret to play the game! I'm getting the picture of you and a bunch of friends scurrying around in cloaks and face masks, ducking and hiding from the bullies who would give you noogies and throw your books on the ground. I seriously doubt that ever happened to anyone, anywhere.