Dragonborn- do they have any fans?

The newest rendition of the popular Dungeons & Dragons rule set. Discuss anything and everything related to 5E Dungeons and Dragons here. AKA D&D.

Dragonborn- do they have any fans?

Postby RivenBlade » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:39 pm

I've seen this race get a lot of flak, though I imagine at least some of that is because 4E tried to 'replace' half-orcs with them. Does anybody like to play Dragonborn PCs or know someone who does? Where they included in the 5E PHB just because the publishers like them?
Make your first strike a killing strike
RivenBlade
Freeman
Freeman

Re: Dragonborn- do they have any fans?

Postby Brightmantle » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:00 pm

The only people I know who like the Dragonborn race right out of the box, are 4e converts. My Dm for 5e. is in the hater's club too.
A king without a sword, the land without a king!
Brightmantle
Town Crier
Town Crier

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby Lyrwik » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:08 am

In the game I'm running at the moment, I have two players with dragonborn characters. Not sure if it's necessarily just a 4e convert thing though. My personal opinion is that it's more of a 'look how special my character is, I can breathe fire/gas/whatever'. I'm probably revealing that I'm not a fan... The same goes for tieflings. I don't think either of them should be default/core book characters, as I feel they bring the world into more of a high fantasy with lots of weird and wonderful creatures around (which I feel each successive edition has crept towards), as opposed to the low fantasy which I prefer.
Lyrwik
Vagabond
Vagabond

Favorite D&D Edition: AD&D 2nd Ed

Postby TigerStripedDog » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:41 pm

I don't allow them as PC classes when I DM.

So not me... and not among any of my players ;)

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Merchant
Merchant

Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Postby BryantTheSwordsman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:28 pm

I've noticed its more of a newbie thing. All the guys that are playing for the first time in my barracks usually pick dragonborn monk for their first character. Its happened three separate occasions. Kinda want to ban it, but i dont like banning stuff from core rulebooks.
RRRRRRHHHHIIIIIIINNNNNOOOSSSSS! Our enemies hide in METAL BAWKSES!
BryantTheSwordsman
Freeman
Freeman

Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Postby TristenC » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:31 am

I never really played 4e and I've been gaming for 20-ish years (95% 2e).

The first 5e char I ever rolled up was a Dragonborn (Cu) Ranger, and i was really excited at the prospect of playing him. Unfortunately that game never got off the ground, so I never got the chance to play him. Side note: I like exploring odd races, I am currently playing a goblin in Jaded's 2e Dragonlance game and a Kobold Rogue in a 5e game (that stalled) on The Planet's gaming forums.
What doesn't kill you just means you made your save... this time...
TristenC
Peasant
Peasant

Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Postby sgtscott658 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 pm

I dont allow them and tieflings in my campaign. I also only allow humans to be Paladins. They just do not make sense in most normal campaigns unless your running something out of Planescape. And if players dont like it, I point at the door and say go find a DM that will allow them because there are a crap ton of DM's out there (not!).

Scott

BryantTheSwordsman wrote:I've noticed its more of a newbie thing. All the guys that are playing for the first time in my barracks usually pick dragonborn monk for their first character. Its happened three separate occasions. Kinda want to ban it, but i dont like banning stuff from core rulebooks.
sgtscott658
Peasant
Peasant

Return to 5th Edition