Elspir - Latest Town Explored

Arkuth, (ar cuth) "The Sundered Lands" is the third fantasy AD&D world designed, populated and richly detailed by Cole E Austin (Owner of Planet AD&D and long time Dungeon Master). This is a home brew world in the making. Please feel free to leave comments etc here about my newest realm.

Moderator: Cole

Elspir - Latest Town Explored

Postby Cole » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:51 am

As mentioned before, I'll post cities as my players get to them and through them. As requested, the finer details have been added to this town's page. Leave comments if you like.

http://www.padnd.com/arkuth/elspir.php
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Re: Elspir - Latest Town Explored

Postby Stik » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:11 pm

Okay, I've got my engineer hat on here, so take it from that perspective.

The river running through the town is very small. There's no scale bar here, but from the look of it, it's about as wide as the town walls, which are said to be 8' thick. That's is barely a stream. If I were building a walled town next to a stream like that, I would divert it to avoid having to build a culvert under my wall, or I would change the shape of the walls to avoid crossing the stream.

A town big into exporting fresh fish would most likely be built on the shore of the lake, rather than nearby it.

Like I said for Barnweal, the cemetery shouldn't be inside the town walls. Medieval cemeteries were nasty, smelly places.

I like that most of the town has a cleared area around the wall. It was important for any medieval walled town to have a clear field of fire for archers to shoot at incoming attackers. The cleared area should extend at least as far as the maximum range of the best missile weapons currently in use. That way, attackers can't shoot from the safety/concealment of the forest edge, and defenders can shoot at enemy soldiers as they advance. This is particularly important around the gates into the town.

There seem to be a lot of unnecessary streets inside the town.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Re: Elspir - Latest Town Explored

Postby Cole » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Yeah the generator I use adds streets randomly. There's not much I can do about that. Perhaps I could delete some. Yeah the scale of that river would be larger for sure, it's more on par with the width of the city rather then the wall's width (which I just make up off the top of my head).

thanks for the input Stik :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Return to Arkuth (The Sundered Lands)