Lurkers must sign up now to visit our additional forums. Please register today and enjoy our endless banter.

GRR work hits gaming again!!

PlanetADnD's general chat area. Post freely in here about all non D&D related topics. Share your daily thoughts, but please keep any profanity to a minimum. *NOTE* ALL religious and/or political topics will be deleted on sight if they are not related to D&D.

Moderators: Stik, Cole

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

GRR work hits gaming again!!

Post#1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Over the years since i got back into adnd, ive lost around 6 players cause of work.. Some cause work took them to other states (one moved down to AZ cause his wife got a better job and he went with her, another went up to Idaho cause his work itself, moved offices), several to different shifts (one went from days to nights, and has stayed nights for a solid 8 months, another went from having weekends off, but worked 10hrs a day during the week, to working 5 hrs during the week AND now doing both week end days..).
Now i am losing another. His firm is shifting his position up to northern Michigan..
GRRRR

Now i rant about losing a great gamer, but i still wish him well in his new job.

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Re: GRR work hits gaming again!!

Post#2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:48 pm

That's rough, I hate to hear it. You know, it seems like as we aged out childhood and teenage years, and for some of you college, the biggest challenge for running a campaign has been just what you described: getting a group that can somewhat reliably show up together at the same time. Yeah, I do remember it was sometimes a challenge during those early years as well, but we were all on pretty much the same schedule as far as getting out of school at the same time. In college many players, while not necessarily on the same class schedule, lived together and I've heard of many campaigns taking place at colleges. In many cases regarding the Military, the soldiers are living together. My brother introduced some people to AD&D and DM'd while in the Navy.
Man, I feel bad for that guy who works five hours a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY of the week. Of course, the shift isn't too long, but the unrelenting schedule of having to show up EVERY DAY... that's rough too.
One thing I think you can be hopeful of is that maybe some of the former players who are still in your area will have their schedules changed once again and they can then come back to your game.
_Matt_

Billy_Buttcheese
Peddler
Peddler

Post#3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Garhkal,
This is probably the single biggest reason why my gaming seems to be in perpetual limbo. If it isn't work, it's school. I have several friends (including my adult children) that like to play but for many reasons we are simply not able to gather as often as I would like. I have been to my FLGS on several occasions and while I might consider attempting to reach out to the local population, my own experiences with this method of gathering folks has left me unsatisfied, sometimes frightened, and still wanting. I live in a fairly densely populated area of Florida and I know there are gamers nearby but most play newer editions and have little to no interest in learning an older edition requiring another set of books or similar expenditure. So, I'm mostly stuck getting my AD&D Jones through formats such as this or simply working on a campaign that may or may not ever see the light of actual gaming. Folks do what they've gotta do to make ends meet, I get that. Being retired from the military makes me a bit of a self-taught expert in this area. Being semi-retired (I have two simple P/T jobs) from work in general gives me much more free time than many of the folks I'd like to game with, which makes things even more difficult for me. Finally, the passion I have for this game can not always be understood or appreciated by non-gaming folks and even some folks that enjoy it on occasion.

We just have to learn to cope...

JadedDM
Artisan
Artisan

Post#4 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Honestly, I'm surprised (and kind of impressed!) any of you still are able to schedule face-to-face games at all. I had to give that up nearly 20 years ago, myself. It just proved impossible to get enough people together regularly because of work, school, family, etc. All of my games are online nowadays.

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#5 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:31 pm

RPG Dinosaur wrote:That's rough, I hate to hear it. You know, it seems like as we aged out childhood and teenage years, and for some of you college, the biggest challenge for running a campaign has been just what you described: getting a group that can somewhat reliably show up together at the same time. Yeah, I do remember it was sometimes a challenge during those early years as well, but we were all on pretty much the same schedule as far as getting out of school at the same time. In college many players, while not necessarily on the same class schedule, lived together and I've heard of many campaigns taking place at colleges. In many cases regarding the Military, the soldiers are living together. My brother introduced some people to AD&D and DM'd while in the Navy.
Man, I feel bad for that guy who works five hours a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY of the week. Of course, the shift isn't too long, but the unrelenting schedule of having to show up EVERY DAY... that's rough too.
One thing I think you can be hopeful of is that maybe some of the former players who are still in your area will have their schedules changed once again and they can then come back to your game.

Thanks.. Yea 5hrs a day all 7 days is a bit of a drag, but he says he likes the money, even though when you work it out he's not getting 40 hrs a week...
Of the other's i have had that are 'no-more'..
We started out with Matt H (the group founder for the meet-up site), who lives out in dayton, so only came to My game to get us started off, and once we had 4 steady players, he dropped out, as we were slated to get more a little later.
Zach (the guy working the prison i already mentioned).
Alex, i just have NO IDEA what happened with him.. He played for 2-3 sessions, then nothing for 3.. then played a few again, then nothing for a few.. then played again, then NOTHING since the 11th session. Just stopped coming, no response to my emails, and he left one of his two characters (took the others, but luckily it seems NOT the spell cards i had set for his spell book).
Then Ross C (the player of Holvareth), he said his work shifted him around, and even said he MIGHT be good to go around the end of oct/beginning nov, but nothing since.
Whit M, the guy who played the dwarf who died off early back in session 7 or so. He dropped out. Forgot if it was work related, or he was moving.
And David R.. The one who played the gnome Ill-thief.. His work shift stopped giving him weekends off, but he still has time for his Own tuesday's 5e games he DM's..

I've been checking with Ross and Zach, but heard nada from alex. There was a guy who passed our game group a few sessions back (Bret), who i've been in email contact with but nothing yet on if/when he will join.. Also had another person (Marcus), who connected via the meet-up site, but so far has been a miss in scheduling..
Then lastly we had that one guy who showed up for the ONE session (played that paladin), but dislikes level limits so much he flat said "Sorry, but i'm done"...

And this is STILL with having fliers up at the 2 main local gaming stores.. Not had much interest since..
I will be trying Ross and Whit again later tomorrow (or maybe tuesday after the whole new years wraps down) to see if their situation's changed..

JadedDM wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised (and kind of impressed!) any of you still are able to schedule face-to-face games at all. I had to give that up nearly 20 years ago, myself. It just proved impossible to get enough people together regularly because of work, school, family, etc. All of my games are online nowadays.

I am surprised too!.. BUT we at least, are doing well (20 sessions and counting!)

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#6 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:37 pm

On the good news front, via that meet up site, it looks lik i have one player of 5e, willing to give 2e a try.. He's seeming to be wanting to play a thief.. And i've got 2 other potential hopefuls..

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post#7 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Yeah, work schedules are a pain to coordinate. Not only days off, but work shifts. If you have two players who are off on Saturday, but one is used to working a midnight to 8AM shift and the other works a 7AM to 3PM shift, they're almost never awake at the same time. It's hard to flip that sleep cycle and sometimes impossible depending on who works the next day.

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#8 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:02 pm

True dat.. A while back we tried working a 'game every weekend' run, just to try and let 2 guys who worked X weekends game, and another who worked Y weekends.. Eventually we gave up on doing it, cause not everyone kept showing up...

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#9 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Well, i have some good news.. A new player is going to be joining this weekend's game.
For his primary, he's making a dual--class human... Starting as fighter till beginning into 2nd level, then dualing into thief.. Using the point buy option for his stats..
For his B/U, he is going with a human fighter (Barbarian kit)..

RPG Dinosaur
Merchant
Merchant

Post#10 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 am

That is good news, I hope this guy works out for the long term.
_Matt_

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#11 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks. He gelled very well with the other two players (patrick and thomas).. And says he is liking how i do things.

And said he MIGHT be able to pull in someone else! WOOHOO!!

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Knight
Knight

Post#12 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:03 am

Yeah life has a funny way of doing that eh Gar. I've lost so many players over the years due to work, moving or family issues I can't count. I'm also dealing with the biggest hurdle in my DM career ever (right now) as I've moved to an entire new province and know absolutely nobody.

I've already managed to find one SUPER stoked player though and I ran a SOLO game last weekend for him. We played for 12 hours... he called me the next day and said "boy did you open a can of worms". We are playing again this weekend. :)

Unfortunately, he works full time, has a family and lives in a city an hour away from me... so I'm shocked he's showing up at all. So we'll see how that goes.

I hate to admit it on a public forum, but I've really started pigeonholing people and guessing if they are "gamers" based on their looks alone. I'm running at like 85% success rate though . My wife is going mental as she can't stand it when we meet someone new here and I'm like "Hey, do you play RPG's?" ... got pretty frustrated with me last week as I asked our realtor (who happens to live down the street) if he'd be interested in "table top games" ... code word for D&D ... :lmao: He said sure, I'd give it a go ;)

So yeah Gar, back to your situation. Just ask people! I've gotten really bold here and I'm about to ask my new neighbor if HE will play to as he looks the stereo typical D&Der. Whooo, then I'd be up to 3 in a week here already :)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons

garhkal
Baronet
Baronet

Post#13 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:14 pm

I've tried recruiting fellow gamers in stores, but most seem to only want to 5e or pathfinder..

Halaster-Blackcloak
Knight
Knight

Post#14 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

I don't even try bothering to recruit "gamers" anymore. The local gaming stores are filled with millenial lemmings who jump on whatever is "new". :roll: Or slobbering man-boys who refuse to grow up and who spend more time gaming than bathing. :evil:

Far too many of them are...ummm...how to skirt this issue gently? :roll:

Of a political/social worldview that I find pathetic and reprehensible :twisted: , and I've watched them play while browsing and noticed their real-life nonsense bleeding into the game. It's not really related to D&D, it's more like Loosely Based On D&D: The Snowflake Edition. :roll: I just can't stomach that crowd, and they would never enjoy (much less survive!) my games.

So I try to recruit friends who are at least familiar with the genre, or who perhaps played back in the day. It's easy to take a 40 year old person who's watched LOTR but has never played D&D or AD&D and teach him to play the game with the same outlook and spirit that most of the group (and the DM!) have. But taking a modern millennial and teaching them? Good luck. I don't waste my time.

Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster
Knight
Knight

Post#15 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 pm

I would generally agree Hal, but I've just finished teaching a few 20 year old's the ropes, moved to Alberta and now one of them is running his very own 2E world. He loves it and so do his 5 players. He's done a great job with 2E and doesn't want anything to do with 5e.

So, even though they are rare, some millennials can make the cut ;)
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons