What scares YOUR players?

Discuss game design, dice rolling methods, rpg ideas, methology, concepts ideas etc. For the ultimate nerd experience!

Re: What scares YOUR players?

Postby garhkal » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Heck, they don't even have to be just swords. Over the years i have had several intelligent axes, spears, maces and flails. Even had an intelligent morning star..
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:13 am

I remember one of my players having an intelligent battle axe. It was so much like a member of the party that they buried it when it got destroyed in their battle against Orcus! 8O

An intelligent suit of armor could be interesting, especially if it takes control of a PC! :twisted:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Merchant
Merchant

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:40 am

I've heard some dm's talk about making int armor, but never seen it done in play. Int weapons sure.. Int other magic items, no..
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Same here. Actually, aside from weapons, I've only ever had an intelligent book in one of my campaigns. But never any armor or other magic items that I can recall. That oversight needs to be fixed!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Merchant
Merchant

Postby lanir » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:54 am

... There was something about jealousy in one of the intelligent weapon write-ups... Now I'm envisioning a jealous set of armor that doesn't want to leave your side, or more importantly your body. Awkward.
lanir
Peasant
Peasant

Postby Cole » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 am

garhkal wrote:Ove on DF, we are yet again having a thread dealing with "What was the purpose of level draining undead", and after a few days, it got split off by someone asking "So what scares your players" (since scaring them is one of the imo main reasons undead do level draining!!)..

So, what BESIDES UNDEAD LEVEL DRAINING attacks, scare your players?

The best one EVER was a Phantasmal killer spell cast on one of my players by another player. I ran it perfectly and explained an entire battle with a huge monster that ended up killing one of the PC's (obviously not the caster). Unbeknownst to him, the spell was an illusion, but long before that he tore up his character sheet and called us ALL a bunch of assholes as he went and sat on the couch crying. It was so hard not to die laughing :lol: .... after the battle was completed, I told him it was an illusion and that he wasn't actually dead.... BAHAHA. Unfortunately he tore his character sheet to shreds and was so mad he went home.

So to this day, I'd have to say my players are scared of "Spells", because you never know what's going to happen :up:
The Borg of Dungeons & Dragons
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Cole » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 am

lanir wrote:Could be worse. Could be a singing sword of dancing that lights up like a Christmas tree while singing disco tunes. Add in a strangely eager infatuation with rogues and other "dark and mysterious" types and your players will either laugh or recoil in horror. Who needs cursed items?

haha, I once had an intelligent weapon on a player that could use telepathy to tell others near him that he stole money from them etc. The sword played up as good and was really whiny about being left behind etc. Always guilted the PC into taking him along. Where in fact he caused bar fights, made all other players not trust the PC, put ideas in the players head to potentially get them killed. Greed and self preservation being way up the chain for this weapon, while the PC was simply a tool to pack him around and accomplish goals. I loved that shit as a DM! :twisted:
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby garhkal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Cole wrote:
garhkal wrote:Ove on DF, we are yet again having a thread dealing with "What was the purpose of level draining undead", and after a few days, it got split off by someone asking "So what scares your players" (since scaring them is one of the imo main reasons undead do level draining!!)..

So, what BESIDES UNDEAD LEVEL DRAINING attacks, scare your players?

The best one EVER was a Phantasmal killer spell cast on one of my players by another player. I ran it perfectly and explained an entire battle with a huge monster that ended up killing one of the PC's (obviously not the caster). Unbeknownst to him, the spell was an illusion, but long before that he tore up his character sheet and called us ALL a bunch of assholes as he went and sat on the couch crying. It was so hard not to die laughing :lol: .... after the battle was completed, I told him it was an illusion and that he wasn't actually dead.... BAHAHA. Unfortunately he tore his character sheet to shreds and was so mad he went home.

So to this day, I'd have to say my players are scared of "Spells", because you never know what's going to happen :up:

PHantasmal killer may be an illusion, but if you die to it in the 'dream' you die for real...
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Cole » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Yeah, it may have not been Phantasmal killer, but it was something like that one. That was over 20 years ago now. I think you get to check after the dream right? save vs death or a system shock check and IF you fail you die. I don't remember exactly. He lived somehow. ;)
Cole
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby garhkal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:44 pm

In 2e the phant killer, just gets 1 strike a round to hit you until its duration ends. If it manages to hit you in the mind, then you die. No save, no check. Just dead.
BUT it has to hit you!
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Cole wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd pay crazy amounts of money to see that on video! If only you could have filmed it! God that had to be hysterical!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Halaster-Blackcloak
Merchant
Merchant

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Charm person spells- especially for Paladin and Ranger characters who if they commit an evil act while under control, will have to atone for their misdeed(s) and not gain anymore experience p. until they do.
Geas and Quest spells.

I'll share something that used to give me chills as a young boy playing the game: Rot Grubs...really. That 1E MM drawing of the adventurer with a rot grub entwined and burrowing through his arm, 8O . Plus, I had read the descript and knew that if my character got one attached to him/her, then they would need to immediately burn the surrounding flesh or get a Cure Disease spell or something like that...or perish!. Torch flames and Cure Disease spells aren't always immediately available.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Postby garhkal » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:07 am

RPG Dinosaur wrote:Charm person spells- especially for Paladin and Ranger characters who if they commit an evil act while under control, will have to atone for their misdeed(s) and not gain anymore experience p. until they do.
Geas and Quest spells.

I'll share something that used to give me chills as a young boy playing the game: Rot Grubs...really. That 1E MM drawing of the adventurer with a rot grub entwined and burrowing through his arm, 8O . Plus, I had read the descript and knew that if my character got one attached to him/her, then they would need to immediately burn the surrounding flesh or get a Cure Disease spell or something like that...or perish!. Torch flames and Cure Disease spells aren't always immediately available.

Or have someone cut the arm off immdiately!
garhkal
Magistrate
Magistrate

Postby BryantTheSwordsman » Tue May 23, 2017 2:15 am

Secret note to other players.
RRRRRRHHHHIIIIIIINNNNNOOOSSSSS! Our enemies hide in METAL BAWKSES!
BryantTheSwordsman
Freeman
Freeman

Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Previous

Return to Game Mechanics