Arcannan - A High Fantasy Homebrew

Here you can post topics concerning your own personal D&D campaign worlds. Let others critique your work, or share your own opinions about other members creations. If you have an extensive amount of your world to contribute, please feel free to ask for your own specialty forum.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

Arcannan - A High Fantasy Homebrew

Postby TigerStripedDog » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Hey All!

Here is the Wiki for my homebrew world: Arcannan

Take a look.

http://arcannan.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Merchant
Merchant

Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Re: Arcannan - A High Fantasy Homebrew

Postby TigerStripedDog » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:28 pm

My map is done! Check it out :D

Josiah (the Cartographer) was great, and comes highly recommended.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Merchant
Merchant

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:41 am

Wow, love that map! Do you have a higher resolution/bigger pic of it? I collect maps I like. Very inspiring!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:49 am

Scratch that. Saw it on the wiki page. Awesome work! Where can I find that cartographer?
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby TigerStripedDog » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:12 am

I got in touch with Josiah at the Cartographer's Guild. There are a ton of awesome artists there. I mentioned that I could pay money for a map and within a week I had over a dozen people approach me wanting to work together. After sorting through them all, and discussing my vision/ideas, Josiah was the artist that rose to the top.

I couldn't be happier with the way this has worked out. I will post the regional maps here as well.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Merchant
Merchant

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:48 am

How much did a map like that cost, if you don't mind my asking? I love that style of map!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby TigerStripedDog » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:32 am

I won't say exactly, because I think Josiah prefers to negotiate these prices individually - and price can change depending on the size and resolution you want. What I can say is that for this project, because of a few special circumstances, was less than $500, more than $100 - and that this was VERY reasonable compared to the other offers I had entertained.

If you haven't had the chance, check out: https://www.cartographersguild.com/forum.php

Fantastic site full of amazing artists, including Josiah.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Merchant
Merchant

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:04 am

Yikes! I certainly hope a lot closer to $100 than to $500! Hard to afford this sorta hobby stuff. But yeah, the work is incredible!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Postby TigerStripedDog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:44 am

Totally understand. $500 isn't cheap. But at the same time, these artists work really hard. They put in quite a few hours. Josiah and I have exchanged at least 50 different emails tweaking this, and making this amazing. His hourly once everything is said and done isn't stellar. And this is 100% a luxury item. No one NEEDS a fancy map of their D&D homebrew world. There are plenty of worlds and world maps you could make your own. Heck - you could literally take MY map and make it whatever you wanted. You'd using material unlicensed, but I don't know how anyone would ever catch you.

Thankfully, almost everything else in this game is pretty inexpensive. For a competent DM, with a new edition, you need 3 books. Even at MSRP you're done for $150 or less. Lets call it a ream of paper and access to a printer for character sheets, pencils, dice... Probably setting you back another $50 at most. $200 and you're set to go for hundreds of hours of entertainment. With those supplies I could easily run a barebones group for 200+ hours. That is $1 an hour for entertainment. That is some inexpensive entertainment. Its why I have returned to D&D from MtG.

I bet you can go even cheaper Halaster - because you don't even need the new edition :D you've got your books already.

I run my sessions weekly, missing around 6 weeks a year. Thats 46 weeks. 4 hours a piece. 2 years for an average campaign. I'll likely play 2-3 campaigns in this world minimum. Call it 2.5 average. Thats 46 x 2 x 4 x 2.5 is... 920 hours of entertainment. Even a $500 map divided over that time is a little over $0.50/hour. Not bad for the additional enjoyment.

I appreciate though that not everyone is in a place where they can afford that kind of up front investment. It can be a tall order. I am blessed and grateful that I can. I definitely think it is worth it over the long haul :)

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Merchant
Merchant

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:43 am

TigerStripedDog wrote:

Totally understand. $500 isn't cheap. But at the same time, these artists work really hard. They put in quite a few hours. Josiah and I have exchanged at least 50 different emails tweaking this, and making this amazing. His hourly once everything is said and done isn't stellar. And this is 100% a luxury item. No one NEEDS a fancy map of their D&D homebrew world. There are plenty of worlds and world maps you could make your own. Heck - you could literally take MY map and make it whatever you wanted. You'd using material unlicensed, but I don't know how anyone would ever catch you.

True, it is a lot of work, and amazing work at that! And yep, I'm using a similar map I found online, just Photoshopped the names and changed a few things and viola! Instant setting! But I'm definitely going to need a particular and specific map for a special project of mine, a home-brew nostalgia world. So I'll definitely have to cough up the cash!

I bet you can go even cheaper Halaster - because you don't even need the new edition :D you've got your books already.

Absolutely! :thumbs: I have everything I need. No more buying new material. And I have enough inspired ideas to keep me playing until even my bones are dust! 8O

I run my sessions weekly, missing around 6 weeks a year. Thats 46 weeks. 4 hours a piece. 2 years for an average campaign. I'll likely play 2-3 campaigns in this world minimum. Call it 2.5 average. Thats 46 x 2 x 4 x 2.5 is... 920 hours of entertainment. Even a $500 map divided over that time is a little over $0.50/hour. Not bad for the additional enjoyment.

True. Plus there's the additional benefit of having a beautiful map framed and on the wall. That can last decades.

I appreciate though that not everyone is in a place where they can afford that kind of up front investment. It can be a tall order. I am blessed and grateful that I can. I definitely think it is worth it over the long haul :)

Yeah, just gotta wait for the budget to open up. I have so many things going on, it's crazy!
Halaster-Blackcloak
Marshall
Marshall

Return to Homebrew Worlds - General