Priests of Moradin??

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

Priests of Moradin??

Postby garhkal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:52 am

By the write up for the god Moradin either in the Monster mythology Blue book, OR the Faith's and Avatars expansion book Demi-Human Deities, Clerics of Moradin (Dwarf main god), can only wield weapons THEY have created.. Though as a benefit, any such weapon they have had a hand in crafting are considered +1 weapons FOR WHAT they can strike..
So does this mean if a priest of Moradin say came across a +3 warhammer, mace or the like, they couldn't use it?
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Re: Priests of Moradin??

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:26 am

Just did a quick check in Monster Mythology, and yes, that would be my understanding. It says they have to have had a hand in the creation of any weapon they use. So according to their priestly vows, they can't use a +3 warhammer they just find.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:19 pm

So in that case.. IF they had just found that +3 hammer, and wanted to use it, what would they need to DO with it, to make it to where they CAN use it?

Would just taking it to the gemsmith, and helping HIM addorn the hilt with gems/gold gelding" be enough? Re-wrapping its hilt?
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 am

The book says they have to have taken part in the "smithing and crafting" of the weapon. "Smithing" would by definition pertain to hammering and forging, and crafting usually pertains to the design and manufacturing of an item. I wouldn't allow the dwarf to take the weapon to a gem-smith and just "pretty it up" and then be allowed to use it. I watched a documentary recently on samurai swords, and it showed the work and skill involved in forging it and sharpening/polishing it. That to me would be the smithing and crafting of it. Anyone can add the leather wrappings or add decorative gems to it.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:41 pm

So unless a priest of moradin MAKES his magical weapon, they are pretty much never gonna be allowed to USE one till they get to a level where they can start making them.. Which means though any weapon they DO make is always seen as +1 for what it can strike (No bonuses to hit or damage though), they have to effectively wait till what, L11 when they can create regular magic items??
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 am

I never said the kit was well thought out. :wink: :lol:

Seriously, I'm not sure though, because what if the dwarf has the weaponsmithing NWP? That should allow him to make +1 weapons since he'd be forging them himself. And would it be fair to allow him to forge the item, making it +1, and then have a wizard add magical pluses to it, perhaps also other abilities? I think that might be allowable.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:51 am

But it would still require a 16+ level wizard, to enchant item an then permanency it..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:27 am

True. I don't know, to some that might seem a bit harsh. I think it has a decent degree of balance though.

On one hand, all he needs is the weaponsmith NWP and he can always have essentially +1 weapons (considered +1 for what it hits, and of course he adds any STR bonus to his damage). And at 5th level he's +2 to hit with war-hammers. On the other hand, it's hard for him to find/use any more powerful weapons (+2, +3, etc) until he reaches high levels. Not sure whether the trade-off is worth it. It probably depends on how high- or low- magic the campaign is.

Then again, finding a 16th+ level wizard isn't insurmountable. In most campaigns I'd think it totally workable, though probably very expensive and requiring some effort on the PC's part (rightfully so).
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:True. I don't know, to some that might seem a bit harsh. I think it has a decent degree of balance though.

On one hand, all he needs is the weaponsmith NWP and he can always have essentially +1 weapons (considered +1 for what it hits, and of course he adds any STR bonus to his damage). And at 5th level he's +2 to hit with war-hammers. On the other hand, it's hard for him to find/use any more powerful weapons (+2, +3, etc) until he reaches high levels. Not sure whether the trade-off is worth it. It probably depends on how high- or low- magic the campaign is.

Then again, finding a 16th+ level wizard isn't insurmountable. In most campaigns I'd think it totally workable, though probably very expensive and requiring some effort on the PC's part (rightfully so).

In FR, sure 16th level wizards are all over the place.. Not so sure for Greyhawk, and none exist in my realm. Hell the highest level NPC casters are a 14th level druid and a 13th level diviner...
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Like I said, it depends on the campaign. Not much of a problem in FR, harder in GH, impossible in your current campaign. But I would argue that the "default" situation assumed early in the game's history would argue for high enough level NPCs somewhere in the world where the PCs can turn for help.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Return to 2E AD&D - Classic Editions