Monster lore NWP

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Brightmantle, Cole, Stik

Monster lore NWP

Postby garhkal » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:18 am

Many times we have threads concerning how to either allow or slow down players using THEIR knowledge (from either reading the monster manual OR from DMing themselves) of what some monster is/does for their character.. So i thought "why not have an actual NWP to cover that.."
Thus i present my revised write up for Monster lore!

Monster lore: General proficiency, 2 slots, Int+Wis divided by 2 base.

This proficiency is often taught in guilds or mage academies to prospective adventurers, but can also cover 'bar-room lore' someone picks up.. It covers basic information on monsters of common and through very rare levels, but the rarer something is, the harder it will be to 'remember' something on said critter when the time comes.. Common creatures are a roll at normal, Uncommon are at -2, Rare are at -4 and very rare are at -8.. If the check is made, the player can have his PC 'remember' one key piece of info from the MM he has read on said monster (like say general HD, turning level, # attacks, special attack mode and the like).. if the check is made at HALF the required level (say 14 is needed and he gets a 7 or less) he can remember 2 items..
A 3rd slot spent on this allows the character to 'specialize' in a specific grouping of monsters, such as undead, goblinoids, giant kind and the like.
The types of specialties that can be grabbed are:
Normal animals
Lowlife creatures (insects, molds, oozes and similar)
Constructs
Lycans
Undead
Planner
Humanoids (does not include giant kind)
Giant kind
dragons and other wyrms
Plant like monsters
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Re: Monster lore NWP

Postby garhkal » Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Did a slight re-write to this, making the penalties for rare/very rare a bit more than -4/-8..

Monster lore: General proficiency, 2 slots, Int+Wis divided by 2 base.

This proficiency is often taught in guilds or mage academies to prospective adventurers, but can also cover 'bar-room lore' someone picks up.. It covers basic information on monsters of common and through very rare levels, but the rarer something is, the harder it will be to 'remember' something on said critter when the time comes.. Common creatures are a roll at normal, Uncommon are at -2, Rare are at -6 and very rare are at -12.. If the check is made, the player can have his PC 'remember' one key piece of info from the MM he has read on said monster (like say general HD, turning level, # attacks, special attack mode and the like).. if the check is made at HALF the required level (say 14 is needed and he gets a 7 or less) he can remember 2 items..
A 3rd slot spent on this allows the character to 'specialize' in a specific grouping of monsters, such as undead, goblinoids, giant kind and the like.
The types of specialties that can be grabbed are:
Normal animals
Lowlife creatures (insects, molds, oozes and similar)
Constructs
Lycans
Undead
Planner
Humanoids (does not include giant kind)
Giant kind
dragons and other wyrms
Plant like monsters
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Fri May 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Nice. :thumbs:
I'm getting the basic Monster Lore NWP all right, but the 'specialize' is causing me a little confusion. I'm not clear on how spending the third slot really helps without positively affecting the check dice roll(on the category specialized in) in the PC's favor or allowing for more details remembered in the case of a successful check on the category specialized in, neither of which you said.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Postby garhkal » Fri May 12, 2017 10:12 pm

That's what i am needing help with. With the BASE skill, trying to remember something on a monster that's rare is a -8 to your check. So if you had a specialty in say undead, and was facing off against a rare undead (say a hecuva) should that penalty drop say to -4? -2?
Or would taking the spec, mean you don't need to Roll to remember stuff about critters in 'your area of specialty'?
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Sat May 13, 2017 11:28 pm

garhkal wrote: Or would taking the spec, mean you don't need to Roll to remember stuff about critters in 'your area of specialty'?

That's personally how I would do it, drop the roll in the PC's area of specialty. I mean there's still all those other categories of creatures that the PC will have to roll for, I feel that the specialization should be a gimme.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Postby garhkal » Sun May 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Sounds too strong. Remember spell craft for mages/priests is in their 'wheelbook' but still needs a roll...
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Sat May 20, 2017 3:27 pm

All right, how's this?
For specialization: automatically remember one item for common and uncommon creatures in the PC's chosen category. -1 on the roll for rare, -3 on the roll for very rare.
Staying with specialization: as for the chance to remember the second item, completely eliminate the chance to remember the second item on very rare creatures in the PC's chosen category.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Postby garhkal » Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 pm

What couns as one item? Their general HD? Spec attack method? Spec defense method??
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 pm

garhkal wrote: the player can have his PC 'remember' one key piece of info from the MM he has read on said monster (like say general HD, turning level, # attacks, special attack mode and the like

garhkal wrote:What couns as one item? Their general HD? Spec attack method? Spec defense method??

Yes, those are all fine examples of one item IMO, and ones you yourself have more or less green lighted. This is your baby remember :wink: ?
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Postby garhkal » Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 am

DOH.. Would have made more sense to read the whole thread.. I forgot i had that there in the OP... :?

Though as a slight re-write of your post.
In spec - One free item remembered for common. -2 to check for uncommon critters, -4 for rare and -6 for very rare.. That way it's still a lessening, but not a gimme..
garhkal
Lord
Lord

Return to 2E AD&D - Classic Editions