Chittin armor from things other than Ankhegs

Any topics concerning TSR's 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Moderators: Cole, Stik, Brightmantle

Chittin armor from things other than Ankhegs

Postby garhkal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:58 am

OK, so we know the bug like beast, the Ankheg once killed, can have some of it's Chittin cut off and made into armor. But what of other beasts, like giant scorpions, hook horrors or umber hulks?

If they could be made into armor, Would the "AC" they grant be similar to what Ankheg chitin armor grants (2 same as the critter has when alive) or would they be lesser, like say 2 points worse?

How hard would it BE to create armor this way (like say what level/# of armorer slots would be needed)? How costly would it be? What would it count as for weight??
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Re: Chittin armor from things other than Ankhegs

Postby TigerStripedDog » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm

I'd allow it, and have them be within +1/-1 of the Ankheg. Generally though it needs to be a fantastic creature -something not found in the real world. I could see giant scorpions being a bit better? Or maybe imbuing some poison resistance. Or if the chitinous creature in question is able to fly, maybe having their Chitin Armor be lighter with lower encumbrance.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Artisan
Artisan

Favorite D&D Edition: 5th Edition

Postby garhkal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Would it then, count as natural armor for druids/rangers? Would it be seen as akin to metal plate armor, even though it's chitin?
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby TigerStripedDog » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:18 pm

I would say so for sure. Yeah. Though, we might need a clarification. Can Druids wear dragonscale? I honestly don't remember.

I was thinking about this more - you might say that the cutoff for whether the hide of a beast could be turned into armor could be that beasts own armor class? Maybe for something to be readily turned into armor without processing (as in leather, which has to be tanned) its living form would have to have an AC of 4 or better? Or any cutoff is fine. The implication being that the natural armor it bears is tough enough to be turned into natural armor by someone else.

For instance, a Troll has a natural AC of 4 (and some of them have an AC of 2). I could see allowing someone to craft troll hide into an AC 4-6 armor (depending on the troll type) and that would certainly be categorized as natural. It also fits my previous criteria - that being that the creature isn't something found in the real world.

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Artisan
Artisan

Postby garhkal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Interesting.

Since chitin and such can often get brittle when NO longer attached to a live being, how long would one last if it was made into armor before crumbling?
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby garhkal » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:56 pm

OK, after chatting with others on DF, here's what i MIGHT go with for a proposal if i eventually decide to allow this sort of armor..

Animal Chitin armor.
Certain tough monsters such as Umber hulks, hook horrors, giant crabs and scorpions can have their left over chitin made into a form of scale or plate mail, that grants the wearer an AC equivalent to 2 worse than what the monster has, but they are only half as 'encumbering' as that sort of armor would normally be. Additionally since they are 'natural' rangers and druids have no issues wearing them. However, since Chitin breaks down when its no longer on a live host, the armor will last (without magical or other preparations) for d4+3 months before becoming useless. Additionally, every time a monster which has a 17 or greater strength scores a critical hit against someone wearing said armor, it loses 1 point of AC. And when it hits AC 9, the suit crumbles...
Once it starts wearing out, not even a mending spell can make it hole again.

It takes 3 weeks per AC point the armor would grant, for a master Armorer (someone with at least 4 NWPs spent into armorer), to craft a suit of armor, and the person it's being made for must be present for 2 days per week, much like getting fitted for field plate or full plate. It costs 50gp per point of AC the armor will grant, for the armorer to make this suit, plus a variable amount of 50-100gp (4+d6x10)..

Sample suits of armor - Giant scorpion. Normal AC 3, created armor AC 5. Costs 250gp + 50-100gp. Takes 15 weeks.
Hook Horror, normal AC 3, created 5, cost and time to make as above.
Umber hulk, normal AC 2, Created AC 4, cost 300gp base, 18 weeks creation time.
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby TigerStripedDog » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:21 pm

So how would the item being magical change the durability?

And any thoughts on applying this rule to another kind of hide? I had a cool idea for a mercenary band led by an intelligent troll, who equipped his men in armor made from his hide (which he would peel off for processing).

Tiger
*unreadable scribble*
TigerStripedDog
Artisan
Artisan

Postby garhkal » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:15 pm

TigerStripedDog wrote:So how would the item being magical change the durability?

No, since i have not seen how these would be made into magical suits..

And any thoughts on applying this rule to another kind of hide? I had a cool idea for a mercenary band led by an intelligent troll, who equipped his men in armor made from his hide (which he would peel off for processing).
Tiger

Troll hide wouldn't do anything imo, the TROLL's what can regenerate, not just his hide..
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby Stik » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 pm

I see no reason why another giant insect's chitin couldn't be made into armor.

Given that most insects in the real world aren't big enough for their chitin to be useful to man, I doubt there exists any method of preserving and/or hardening it to make it better for armor (like tanning leather to preserve it, and boiling it in oil or wax to make it harder). But in a fantasy world with giant insects, I expect someone would have found a way. So I don't think it wold be necessary to put rules in place for a chitin armor suite to fail over time, any more than you would for leather.

And if there's a way to make some material into a useful product, surely there's a wizard someplace who has figured a way to magic it up and make it even better.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Stik
Master Scribe
Master Scribe

Favorite D&D Edition: 2nd Edition

Postby RPG Dinosaur » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:30 pm

[quote="garhkal"
Animal Chitin armor.
Certain tough monsters such as Umber hulks, hook horrors, giant crabs and scorpions can have their left over chitin made into a form of scale or plate mail, that grants the wearer an AC equivalent to 2 worse than what the monster has, but they are only half as 'encumbering' as that sort of armor would normally be. Additionally since they are 'natural' rangers and druids have no issues wearing them. However, since Chitin breaks down when its no longer on a live host, the armor will last (without magical or other preparations) for d4+3 months before becoming useless. Additionally, every time a monster which has a 17 or greater strength scores a critical hit against someone wearing said armor, it loses 1 point of AC. And when it hits AC 9, the suit crumbles...
Once it starts wearing out, not even a mending spell can make it hole again.

It takes 3 weeks per AC point the armor would grant, for a master Armorer (someone with at least 4 NWPs spent into armorer), to craft a suit of armor, and the person it's being made for must be present for 2 days per week, much like getting fitted for field plate or full plate. It costs 50gp per point of AC the armor will grant, for the armorer to make this suit, plus a variable amount of 50-100gp (4+d6x10)..[/quote]

Well done to you and the others at DF because this is a pretty tight, logical and functional set of rules you all came up with for the chitin armor. I don't think I could've done any better myself. As a player the most attractive thing to me would be the light encumberance of that type of armor.
_Matt_
RPG Dinosaur
Peddler
Peddler

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition, with some 2nd

Postby garhkal » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Glad you like it Dino...
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 pm

I'd say use one of the various preservation spells on it, then it will retain its usefulness.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Peddler
Peddler

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 am

Halaster-Blackcloak wrote:I'd say use one of the various preservation spells on it, then it will retain its usefulness.

What preservative spells??
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Postby Halaster-Blackcloak » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:54 am

There was a spell called preservation in the Spellbound box set. Off the top of my head I can't recall the names of other similar ones. I think there were a few in the Complete Book of Necromancers. But they're all spells that preserve bodies so that they stay fresh, that sort of thing. I can imagine several of those (if I can track them down) would work to preserve chitin.
Halaster-Blackcloak
Peddler
Peddler

Favorite D&D Edition: 1st Edition

Postby garhkal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:46 pm

While i ave the necro's HB i don't use it. And never even read the spellbound boxed set.
garhkal
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Return to 2E AD&D - Classic Editions